Battery change at Autozone -car won't start

The price is the same whether they install it or you do it yourself.

1 Like

If they told me the “carry out” price for a battery was $228, I’d tell them to stick their battery where the sun doesn’t shine.

Smart phones are everywhere. Maybe we should take a picture of the battery before it gets changed in a hurry. You know how some people have a picture of every restaurant meal they ever ate? I’m sure that some cameras have become useful to auto people. One of my friends changed a head and thought he installed the timing chain wrong. A picture in his manual showed that the plug wires were installed wrong. There wasn’t an old style distributor. so it wasn’t too obvious.

My guess is that this was an EFB (enhanced flooded battery) battery, not a standard flooded cell model.I’m sure cheaper options are available.

Not out of line imhop

[quote=“old_mopar_guy, post:22, topic:181488”]
carry out” price for a battery was $228, I’d tell them to stick their battery where the sun doesn’t shine.
[/quote] waiting for @Ezarb_178727 to respond.

1 Like

Barky and I agree. Nice.

1 Like

My neighbor paid $200 for an EFB battery from Auto Zone last month, I installed it for him. Watching a store clerk disassemble the cables would be hard to take.

My battery came with a 3 yr warranty …does that sound like an EFB?
Now I am wondering if I got price gouched as well, have to check model number / prices. Every time I change a battery, I just got used to big price jumps.

The Duralast Platinum EFB battery is ~ $200, the Duralast Gold also has a 3 year warranty, check your receipt for the battery type/part number.

1 Like

Price Gouge ? Not hardly . When you were told the price you could have asked if they had anything cheaper . The Autozone web site will show the prices . You paid the price and the person made a mistake on the install . Now move on because humans make mistakes . You can mark this store off your list of places to shop , it is just that simple.

1 Like

I’m with the others . . .

battery prices are quite high, and have been for some time

The day of the $60 automotive battery is LONG gone

Even at Costco, the battery price for any of my cars is close to $200

And Autozone prices are comparable to Oreilly, NAPA and the others, from what I’ve seen.

1 Like

Thanks to NYBo , I was able to locate the problem , myself. The hanging battery cable not connected.
The store manager said he was glad I was able to save the cost of the tow and a service shop fee to look at the car. He agreed to refund the $11. cab fee it cost me to return to the shop. But he offered no apology for my inconvenience or loss of time. This is what bothers me the most, that he did not offer simple apology for the incompetence of his staff/service.
I appreciate everyone’s comments on this topic. Thanx.

2 Likes

No, but go to a more competent garage next time.

AutoZone normally installs battery for free Advance Auto too.

Check Walmart too.
Seem to have decent prices on batteries.

Yes! He should have apologized and said we’re sorry for the inconvenience, and I will be sure that the counter person receives the proper training so this does not happen again in the future.

Walmart isn’t very nice, if you need to have the battery replaced under the free replacement period

they make you jump through a ring of burning fire before they’ll do the right thing

I advise against getting the battery at Walmart

Costco is much more pleasant

No questions asked

Better customer service

Hands down

3 Likes

Oh wow I did not know that, good to know, thank you.
I wish we had a Costco around here, unfortunately we do
not.
Not sure how they are with warranty but I noticed Home Depot had batteries now right in the brick and mortar store seem to be pretty reasonable. No personal experience I just saw them in there.

Its sounds like there may be other things going on here, could be cables are failing I have had cables just stop sending juice out? Metal fatigue inside the cable. Starter do go out from time to time and fuses also. You need to diagnose the starting & charging system. They sell tester which will let you know if the alternator is charging correctly.

Problem solved by OP, with help from NYBo.

1 Like

I am glad you found the problem! Super! Its good idea to replace the cables if the problem comes up again.