Ban the "Check Engine" light!

The federal government requires by mandate that there be a diagnostic system that (1) montors all activities related to the emissions output and (2) notifies the driver if any anomolies are detected that might affect emissions output. Thus, we have the OBDII system and the Check Engine Light.

Personally, I think it’s rediculous for vehicles to display a CEL instead of having a small readout that displays the fault codes. Perhaps the Owner’s Manuals could even come with a list of codes, or a website to access the meanings. Yes, it’s only the first step in diagnosing the problem, but jeeze, why should we have to buy and attach a seperate device when the codes are available in the computer already?

Just put some black electric tape over it, if you don’t want to see it.
Job done.

Depends on what state the OP lives in.

Here in NH our emissions test is to hook a OBD-II scanner. If any codes are present then the vehicle fails. Also a check to see when the last time the codes were reset. If less then (I think 10 days) then it still fails.

Same here in CT. I was kidding.

Denise McCluggage has written for Auto Week Magazine since its inception. In fact she OWNED its predecessor. She says the check engine light is misnamed. It should be called a check emissions light.

She’s a really neat person too. Among other things, she raced her own Ferrari at LeMans in the '50s. More than just dated Steve McQueen who had an MGTC like hers, was married to Michael Conrad (Sgt Phil Esterhaus of Hill Street Blues) and has been a good friend of Carroll Shelby for decades. She celebrated her 80th birthday about three years ago. Neat old lady.

Just a fyi… some of those budget minded scanners have been known to cause pcm issues. Just a heads up…had a couple of customers whose husbands bought one from a local well know store and wound up on a tow truck in my yard…wives were NOT amused

That’s a good tip, Geargirl. I was unaware of that problem.