AWD vs 4wd in Snow

That used to be true, but several newer vehicles have rear wheel bias instead of front wheel bias. This allows the vehicle to handle more like a rear wheel drive, and it makes drifting much easier than with FWD.

I parked in a parking space once where both rear tires were on glare ice, the front tires on pavement. The default method of moving off the ice, careful application of the gas pedal did not work. I had to let the engine rev up high enough for the viscous clutch to transfer some power to the front wheels in order to back out of the space. 2014 Subaru Legacy.

That is true for many AWD systems, but it is not true for Subaru’s AWD system.

Yep could be. I still haven’t really had a great opportunity to try out AWD. The one time with deep unplowed snow when I wasn’t sure if I’d make it back again from the Chicken Shack, I took the FWD Pontiac not the AWD Acura. It was not fun. I guess I figured if I had to leave the car in the middle of the road stuck, I’d rather have it be the Pontiac.

My knowledge is very limited, but I like Subaru’s AWD tech best of the average US cars. Its biggest flaw seems to be ground clearance. In heavy snow, there is enough build up, the belly pan drags, giving less tire bite.

For X-Ice, I use those tires on my FWD cars. They are great, but the same tires on AWD seemed more sure footed. The problem is stopping, if you get over confident.

All that said, I still preferred the Subarus with 4WD. Maybe it was because the car was so much lighter, but the little cars drove like they were on rails, and didn’t seem to have the problems some full sized 4WDs had
 like ending in the ditch. The only drawback was it wasn’t an automatic system, so could lead to embarrassing situations when hitting a patch of black ice.

Hi!

Thanks.

Paul

Hi!

Thanks.

Paul

Paul , while it is polite there is not really a need to respond to every post . The people here can make these threads go on forever .

I’d guess AWD would work nearly as well as 4WD in the type of snow covered roads most people drive. 4WD vehicles tend to have better ground clearance, which can be very important for avoiding a hole poked into your oil pan from a hidden obstruction driving in deeper snow and where the snow plow has graded rocks onto the road. I drove my 4WD truck to the local Colorado ski resort where I lived many times where the road had big rocks from the snow plow hidden under the snow. The ground clearance was enough they rocks causes no problems for me. But plenty of sedans by the side of the road with an oil slick underneath.

1 Like

I have lived in Western NY my whole life, started out driving rear wheel drive cars, then front drive.

Never been stuck on the road with either one.

Been stuck many times woth tractor trailers, especially when some idiot decides to give you a dead axle tractor with out air bags to take the weight off the non driven axle in snow country.

1 Like

They haven’t made 4WD Subarus for a long time, if ever. Did you mean AWD? That’s what they’ve made for a good long while, although they have had more than one AWD system. A few decades ago you could switch it from FWD to AWD on my boss’s Subaru wagon, for example. But 4WD?

Vehicles that are equipped with a choice of AWD or 4WD transfer cases usually have the same ground clearance. Of course 4WD trucks have more ground clearance than AWD cars.

Nope, true 4WD. I don’t know what year they stopped, early 80’s? Then I was also counting the Suzukis. (Subaru Sidekick sounded OK when I typed the first reply. :sweat_smile:)

The 70’s and 80’s models were FWD, you’d yank a transfer lever, and voila. I was secretary of a computer group, with a conference in a ski resort. Overnight snow filled the bed of the Brat (same drive as the station wagon car). Being low paid, I didn’t have money for another night, so headed out. 10 miles out of town, even the snow plows had been benched. She did remarkably well, except for the occasional crash as a chunk of ice passed underneath. The only prob was the wipers were not up to the job
 have to knock snow/ice off them every 20 miles or so.

Then the Sammy and Sidekicks. They even got respect as mudders from the Jeep crowd. No power, but you’d ride on top of the foot deep furrows the Jeeps left. Also no weight, as the Sidekick rode on tires meant for mini vans
 so let out a few pounds and it was almost a mud buggy.

Oh, and the Subaru 4WD was old school, where the front wheels have slightly higher gearing than the rear. It’s not good to run on dry pavement, but is excellent for slippery conditions
 keeps the front pointed forward. You could feel the difference.

My (temporary) 52 Chevy PU had a similar feel. (Yes, I know no 4WD back then, but a PO had put in, I think, 70’s running gear, coupled to a inline 6.) It was nicely done, except for blowing the rod bearings.

Voila, you’re in 4WD
 I remember driving that Subaru wagon and shifting that lever. I didn’t know the diff between 4WD and AWD - actually AWD wasn’t common back then, early 80s. I was driving on hard pavement, so maybe not a good idea with that car.

Since then Subaru had had a least a couple different AWD systems, haven’t they?

Yep, often the system on the manual cars was different than the automatic cars.

When I graduated to posi traction RWD I thought that was great and never got stuck. Then FWD was better. Then of course AWD but I stay out of the storms now if I can. The only thing I don’t like about FWD is on ice. Fine unless your wheels start to lose grip.