'Automakers, Rejecting Trump Pollution Rule, Strike a Deal With California'

Used to live in Maryland. I should have written that you can’t keep the ocean out without keeping rainwater in. I remember stacking sandbags in Arlandria to keep Four Mile Run inside its banks in the '60s. Friends did the same in Cedar Rapids before flood control was installed on the Cedar.

Noah’s Ark in Kentucky suffered from flooding.

3 Likes

I know that’s a joke, but they are worried about it.

The Norfolk/Portsmouth naval complex has not only ships, but docks, parts storage, repair shops, offices, and at least one major air field. Add to that the fact that employees live in low lying areas and often get stuck at home because sea water flooding covers the roads that lead out of their neighborhoods.

The Hampton Roads area is where these facilities are located. This is at the mouth of the James River, but the James is very wide, almost to Richmond. This is not because there is a lot of water coming out of the James, but because it is essentially on the ocean. A similar, but much smaller, example is the San Francisco Bay. What has more influence on the bay water level? The ocean or the rivers that enter the bay? The Chesapeake Bay has high salt content up to Baltimore and farther north.

Still laughing?

The Noah’s Ark in Kentucky is really just a building, built to the dimensions of the ark as they’re laid out in the Bible. I’ve been there. It doesn’t look like a flood prone area (kind of on a hill)?

Yeah, but it did make funny headlines… Noah’s Ark sinking. I think the problem was a landslide that blocked an access road to the ship.

Yes, flooding in those yards is a serious concern, but it does sound funny.

SAC AFB (near Omaha) flooded this year, blamed on climate change.

I still think the US Navy worrying about high water is funny, in a late-night comedy sort of way. So, yeah, still laughing. Car Talk , remember?

1 Like

I suppose the original folks around the ark said the same thing I just did. “Doesn’t look flood prone to me.”

3 Likes

The song “O Fortuna” from “Carmina Burana” plays in my head when I read stuff like this.

Floods happen because rainwater can’t get out (the case with most of the US) as well as the rise of the oceans; the rise of the oceans gives the rainwater nowhere else to go. A barrier that will keep the Atlantic from flooding Hampton Roads will keep the James’s water in.

SF’s very different. The rivers that flow into it don’t get anywhere near as much water as Virginia’s and there’s a vast water project that diverts the waters that would flow into it to irrigate the Central Valley and fill the pools of the Really Important people in California, the Angelenos.

It’s technically an estuary, not a bay. Fresh & seawater mix in an estuary. Too much salt is bad for the sea life (especially oysters) as is too little. The salinity tells you how much of which you have. When there’s a lot of rain in the Susquehanna watershed, it gets fresher; when there’s a drought, it gets saltier.

I was never laughing. I remember Rogers CB Morton, have rooted for the bay for 50 years, still am.

That color is a perfect match.

We now have certain areas in Boston that are flooding during high tide. And Boston isn’t the only area.

There are islands disappearing due to rising sea levels.

You quoted my corrected comment that floods happen because of too much rain in addition to the rising of the seas.

The area’s I posted had nothing to do with rain…but only sea levels.

I agree. California’s standard is a good one.

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing the discussion back closer to topic.

1 Like

I think it was Sacramento that I read has passed an ordinance that does not allow working on your own car in your own garage with some very limited exceptions. So I don’t know if I’d want to follow their lead. Not to mention the contaminated beaches and rat infestations. All is not well there.

2 Likes

Yes, a number of cities have those type of ordinances. That’s CA where shade tree business is common.
The Sacramento rules are…

1. Using tools not normally found in a residence;
  2. Conducted on vehicles registered to persons, not currently residing on the lot or parcel;
  3. Conducted outside a fully enclosed garage and resulting in any vehicle being inoperable for a period in excess of twenty-four hours.

I wonder what they consider unusual tools. I consider table saw, clamps, grinders, welding equipment, a hoist, various jacks, creepers, a small roll around for body tools, ramps, a big roll-around for hand tools, a couple compressors, pressure washer, spray guns, etc to be normal. My 3 neighbors have similar. 2 blocks over, they think a screw driver and pair of pliers is excessive.

The 3rd one is rather harsh. It used to take a month for some parts to arrive.

Our city passed the “no inoperable car” ordinance 30 years ago. Some dudes were driving neighborhoods searching for cars, turn the owner in, then come by 2 weeks later and offer 10 cents on the dollar. I got the guy’s name/number and said I’d think on it. I thought, turned it over to the cops, and they started ignoring his complaints. (He’d made 23 complaints.)

re: inoperable car rules

I guess not all Calif cities are so stringent. There’s some residential properties in my area where the same non-functional and unregistered cars have been parked on the driveway or even on the lawn for years, the weeds mowed around them occasionally, but the cars have never moved. It’s weird b/c the same city is very stringent about any sort of appliance (like a clothes dryer) visible in the front yard, those property owners will get a city notice to abate or be fined within a few weeks. But old cars strewn about the front yard, by all appearances this is no problem at all. That’s ok by me, I’m not inclined to tell my neighbors what landscape architecture they should have, as long as there are no obvious safety issues, whatever they like is fine by me. If my neighbors wanted to put old 15 clothes dryers and dishwashers in their front yard, use them to display their potted plants, I’d say that’s a clever use, no problem by me. One man’s junk is another man’s treasure.

I like your attitude, George. My neighbors went bonkers, so I planted wild flowers every summer. (Dandelions or grass must be no taller than 6", wildflowers chest high are OK.) Over in Eugene, a friend got tired of complaints. He installed an ancient rusty PU, used as a planter, and a water sculpture made of a bathtub, 2 toilets, and a series of bed pans. Now the neighbors are sorry they complained his rose bushes were 6" into the sidewalk area.

1 Like