Auto Parts Markup?

It probably been posted several times in this topic, but if paying a markup offends you, then DIY (diagnose, acquire parts and replace)

1 Like

You threw them out and decided your time and peace was worth more than what you could get reselling them. It does not mean that the rotors had no value. Basically, they had a use-value for you initially that disappeared when you could no longer use them. I am having a hard time conceiving a general rule from your particular experience.

Is there a ceiling for you guys for an acceptable markup? It seems I am nuts for not wanting to pay three times the amount for the pleasure of ordering a part from NAPA. Been fun but I am done with this discussion.

:wave:

There are pros and cons with online, there are pros and cons with brick & mortar. You seem unduly fixated on the pros to online and the cons with brick & mortar. Donā€™t let the electronic door hit you on the way out!

1 Like

I will give you a break because you probably have not read all my posts in this thread. Again I have no pros or cons. I have simply pointed out real life examples of instances were NAPAā€™s retail pricing is 2 to 3 times the price you can pay elsewhere for the exact same product. Would you really pay $600 with a smile on your face after learning that you could get the same thing for $200. I guess I am still waiting for that ā€˜ā€˜light bulbā€™ā€™ to go off in my head.

Who in their right mind would even do that ? Michael , you are just a pain with your view which you are welcome to . Just stop already .

Nope, read every post.

and other people have pointed out why NAPA costs more than Amazon

If I didnā€™t have the option of letting my car sit for 2+ days because I canā€™t wait for a part to ship in (or run the risk of having the wrong part ship, have to send it back, and wait again for the correct part), then yes Iā€™ll pay more to get the part locally. Depending on the part, the shipping can wipe out a lot of the ā€œsavingsā€ from a part priced lower.

And yes, I have had things break down and have paid higher at a local place to get the part now, because I couldnā€™t afford to loose the day (or days) of work waiting to get the vehicle back out on the road.

1 Like

My real life experience and many others is far far different then yours. NAPA is higher then ADAP or Pepboysā€¦but the quality of parts different greatly. At MOST NAPA is 30% higherā€¦no where near 300% higher. And they are still cheaper then dealer prices.

:smiley:

2 Likes

And a number of you guys are flat out crazy. Feel free to enjoy your 80$ pizzas, because there is no way you would patronize a store that only charged you $30. Problem is that most people wonā€™t and overtime despite making 3 times what its competitors make in profit on the sale of a pizza, the loss of business will be such that they will go out of business.
You guys discuss everything but the actual subject matter which is the part markup or profit ratio for the retailer. You clearly think that it should be whatever the market will bear, and seem to have zero interest in actual market pricing. Again it seems hard for many of you to deal with the actual pricing differences I have pointed out. Itā€™s nice that you want to insist that NAPA only marks-up pricing 30% when I point out actual parts where their price is 250 to 300% higher for the exact same part and not the NAPA discount lines. For their top-of-the-line stuff, the pricing is very close to dealer part prices, and given how close those are I will choose the dealer part department.
And PS: Napa has access to parts in their network but the individual stores do not keep in stock every part for every manufacturer. In my experience, a one or two-day part or tool delay is quite common.

You may want to hold one of those up, making sure the shiny side is facing your face

:wink:

2 Likes

??? ā€œwhatever the market will bearā€ IS ā€œmarket pricingā€. Thatā€™s how it works.

2 Likes

Is anyone else smelling a possible troll?

2 Likes

And Iā€™m suppose to believe you when I know for a fact the NAPA prices are no where near 300% higher.

"MikeInNH,
And Iā€™m suppose to believe you when I know for a fact the NAPA prices are no where near 300% higher.

A lot of people believe if it is on the internet or TV it is true.

I could go to my favourite pizza place and pay $30 for my pizza or for $7 I can buy the pizza in the frozen food section of the grocery section at Walmart. However, if the frozen pizza is not good, I canā€™t take it back. On the other hand, if the pizza at the restaurant isnā€™t right, I can send it back to the kitchen.
I donā€™t remember if it was NAPA or another parts supplier, but I bought one alternator and one heater blower motor for my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass I drove for 33 years. Both parts had a lifetime warranty, so over the course of 33 years I went through three alternators and a couple of blower motors and only had to pay for one alternator and one blower motor.
I did buy a muffler from NAPA. I spent a couple hours installing the muffler. Several years later, when the muffler had to be replaced, I went to an independent muffler shop. The total cost, parts and labor, were less than what the muffler cost at NAPA.

Maybe itā€™s more of a problem with NAPA pricing in Canada. I just bought two Oxygen sensors for my Subaru from an online vendor (RA) for $270 Cnd with tax and delivery on Wednesday. Napaā€™s price is $550 with taxes included, and one of the sensors would be special order arriving Thursday. Amazon would have been $295. Those are facts even if you want to doubt me.

Hint accounts that use their real identity and names are just a bit more believable than those who hide theirs.
And one thing about the internet is you need some critical skills because there lots of people who quite obviously like to pretend they know stuff, and share mistaken opinions.

AS I have tried to point out to you before, brick and mortar stores cannot compete with online only stores in price,
Mechanics cannot wait for shipping or exchanges from online stores without angering and inconveniencing their customers and tying up their shop.

I spent 17 years working for a Canadian Company and I live on the border and yes, business costs and prices are higher in Canada.

1 Like

You should learn something about computers and the internet. You have no idea what youā€™re talking about.

1 Like