2016 GMC Sierra 1500 - Weird tire slits

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate w/ 125,000 miles. In May of 2021 with 73,841 miles I installed a set of Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 A/T tires. In Feb of 2024 I noticed a slit in the sidewall. Since I pull a 21’ Triton bass boat this was VERY concerning. I assumed it was road debris that caused it. Since MT had discontinued this tire I went on a web search and found what I believe to be the last MT Deegan in the USA. I had it installed and went on my way again assuming it was road debris. Now in April of 2024 I was polishing my rims and noticed that every tire now has random slits on the side walls. Some are topical and some are into the cord on the sidewall…I am now re-evaluating the road debris theory and believe that since MT discontinued these tires that it is a manufacturing defect. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any info on the defect? and if so has MT steeped up for the replacement?

The chance that anyone that has this problem will see your post is low. You need to contact Mickey Thomson or one of their dealers . But the simple answer is just replace the tires and be done with it.

1 Like

Sounds like you like keeping your stuff very clean, nice and shiny… Putting some tire shines on your tires sidewalls can cause cracking (sidewall break down) and can void the warranty…

You WILL have to contact a/the dealer you bought them from…

WHERE TO GO FOR WARRANTY REPLACEMENT*

Contact the Mickey Thompson dealer where the tire was originally purchased for initial inspection. If the dealer which originally sold the tire is no longer available, please contact Mickey Thompson’s technical support department via email at tech@mickeythompsontires.com or 1-800-222-9092 for assistance in finding a Mickey Thompson dealer (Proof of purchase will be required) You may also visit our website Dealer Locator.

2 Likes

Another thing is, if MT discontinued the tire, what is the last 4 numbers of the DOT number on the tires, they could be NOS (new old stock)…

3 Likes

Agreed. You could have gotten a “great deal” on some old tires…

2 Likes

Pictures would be very helpful to understand the problem…

4 Likes

If the local dealer is not helpful, perhaps contacting Goodyear’s corporate customer service people could help. Goodyear has owned Mickey Thompson for about 3 years, and MT tires are made in Goodyear factories.

I’m with @VOLVO-V70

I believe we can only speculate until we see those pictures

1 Like

Need Photos!

And tire ages!

2 Likes