Asbestos

Well, I suppose that brakes pads could be made overseas and have asbestos in them.

“It’s no different from the warning stickers on the stepladder”

I guess I will take this explanation.

The effects of asbestos would take ~ 20 years to show up in most cases. A simple chest X-ray could give a lot of info, a breathing test would be good too. So for those of you who think there might have been exposure, it might well be worth it.

I did spray the old pads, and this is a 2005 car, not that old. I have quite a few masks, but there was no dust to speak of and I didn’t bother. I was just curious on the strong words on the box. I think the bulk of the dust happens during braking (for rotors not drums). I am thinking to call them directly anyway to see what they say. But then again who knows if the person answering the phone is qualified.

Yes, drums are 100x worse than disks as far as brake dust, both inside the drum and stuck on the backing plate.

Keith That may be. But I have never smoked and any Doc that has listens to my lungs always asks if I have smoked. I have worked on vehicles since I was a kid. I am now 50. I started painting vehicles when I was 17. I know all that dust was not good for me.

My Grandfather died with asbestos in his lungs. He had spots on both lungs. He work at a oil refinery from about 1940 till 1980. Exp the war years he was in the Navy. He had biopsies done. We all need to be careful around dust of any kind. Who knows what may not be harmful today will be tomorrow.

Asbestos particles have little hooks on them if you look at them through a microscope. That’s why they attach to the lungs or other body parts if its in the water and stays there.

Silica dust can and does get trapped in the alveolar sacs and then cannot be expelled. To say otherwise is ignorant of the pathology of silicosis.

Anything you inhale other than air is likely to have some ill effects.

Called Raybestos today and since '99 no asbestos in their material or so they claim.

As far as other stuff you inhale, true. There are 2 types of exposure. Massive one time exposure (silo’s being one example) and ongoing low dose exposures, smoking is the perfect example.

Back to the labeling on the brake pad box, seems like it is like all other warnings-though they forgot to mention it is not a toy, kids should not ingest it…

I always the big problem for asbestos exsposure with brakes was mainly for people that worked in brakes shops for a number of years with long term exsporure.