Asbestos in Brake Pads & Shoes

Perhaps. But my guess is that everyone pretty much gets exposed to it to some degree, everyone is sensitive to it, and the reason everyone doesn’t die of asbestos exposure is b/c most people die of something else first.

There’s a town in Russia where asbestos runs wild in the natural rocks. Abest, Russia.

I just cannot understand the logic of some people?

How many of you would tolerate breathing in secondhand cigarette smoke?

But asbestos? You don’t have a problem?

Tester

Everyone is different and tolerates different things in different ways. I can breathe in a month worth of brake jobs and second hand smoke and never know it but mowing the lawn for an hour requires allergy pills, nose spray, and an inhaler.

Couple of years ago I moved to a part of Oregon that is known as the grass seed capital of the world. I’m now going in twice a week for shots to allow me to breathe without coughing.

That sounds like “desensitizing” shots

Years ago, I went through a round of that, because I’m allergic to many plants, as well as some animal hair. Interestingly enough, I’m severely allergic to horse hair. I guess I won’t be a cowboy

Anyways, the process lasted more than a year, and the shots made me drop dead tired every single time. But the upside is that it lessened the symptoms for several years afterwards.

The downside was as mentioned, the temporary drowsiness after each treatment. Not exactly good for driving a vehicle

So far brake pads and shoes haven’t bothered me much. I’m wondering if all those cast iron particles from cutting drums and rotors is worse than what’s in the linings themselves . . . ? They sure find their way into your airways

The shots don’t do a darn thing as far as making me sleepy. Guess I’m lucky there.

I’ve always had some “hay fever” growing up in LA and then living in Seattle for 25 years. But the last 3 years after moving here have made me miserable. It’s been non-stop sinus infections and bronchitis ever since. Chest x-rays, MRI, endoscopy, etc., no cause found other than allergies. I’ve tried all the over the counter and prescription meds, the only thing that works is Benadryl. But that knocks me out like you can’t believe so all I can do after work and on weekends is sit in my chair and sleep. I’ve also gained 20 lbs. the last 3 years. I’m sure that’s why.

Funny, I can breathe brake dust and brake lathe shavings and smoke unfiltered cigarettes for 30 years and be fine, and it’s grass and tree pollen that takes me down!

The effects of asbestos takes 20 yrs or more to show up. Those who have immediate reaction have some sensitivity or allergy to it. This will pass, but the mesothelioma and the lung scarring disease (which could also kill), takes a long time to show up.

I think I have been exposed too, will see.

Sounds like you should move to Minnesota instead. We have grass but only for half of the year.

I’m for reasonable employee safety just not ridiculous. In the late 60’s one of my summer jobs got me assigned to the foundry. I don’t remember anymore what job the guy did, but I used to watch this older guy go to a drinking fountain about every 30 minutes and spit out the brown sand and rinse his mouth out. I think he must have been cleaning cores out of the castings or something. He should have at least had some protective gear. Of course back then no one wore ear plugs either and couldn’t hardly buy them unless you had them from the rifle range. And certainly no safety glasses. We’ve come a long way.

Well it’s been 1 week since I decided to pull the drums off my truck to fix the seized up emergency brake. Still have a sore throat, sinus, and now rib area pain when I take a deep breath. Over the past week I have coughed up about about a half a gallon of thick mucus which is disgusting. My mouth feels quite raw on the inside. and feel worn out in general. Idk if this is a allergic reaction or natural reaction to the asbestos or microscopic grit I inhaled. I’ve heard it takes decades before you get disease, but I literally started feeling it a hour after I was exposed to it. Not sure what I’m more mad about me not knowing brake shoes were made out of asbestos, or car companies putting it in their cars for unsuspecting mechanics to breath it in when the take the brakes apart. A 30 minute job has turned into a real nightmare

What you may have contracted is called Chemical Pneumonia.

See a doctor tomorrow.

Tester

1 Like

Today would be even better.

1 Like

Best to collect dust with a vacuum with a hepa filter. If you blow it around it becomes airborn and gets into you and dust seals and other places that you dont want it to go.

Went to the doctor yesterday. They did a strep test which came back negative. They said if I don’t feel better come back in a week. Symptoms started after coming into contact with brake drum dust… Metal taste in mouth. Next day bloody sinus, inflamed sinus, sore throat, aching muscles and extreme tiredness. Been going on 9 days now I believe… Not sure how much brake dust I breathed in but I am feeling toxic

Wishing you a speedy recovery. I got a yeast infection in my throat after hip surgery. Went to my nurse practitioner, strep test fine, she looked then determined it was a yeast infection, strep is not the only thing that can crap you out. Left untreated it can be very difficult to get rid of. Don’t be afraid of going back again if it continues!