Are you smarter than your Grandkids?

For crying out loud . We don’t pay any interest as we pay the cards off in full . And it is not pennies we get back but several hundred a year .

1 Like

so do I, but some people can not afford to pay it in full every month.

It didn’t have a sealed battery?

In truth I don’t care at all if Safeway or Visa knows I buy butter. I also don’t care if a machine reads my license plate. I do these things in public. If you watch me and see I bought butter, so what? This unreasoning suspicion of danger in observation of things we do in public is one signal that we are not smarter than our grandkids.

Butter is ok but margerine may not be. I remember the days when margerine was illegal and had to be smuggled in from Iowa. Dad knew a guy and would pick some up on Friday night. Hard to believe.

It’s not smarter or dumber. It’s not lazier or more hard working. It’s different times, different skill sets, different social values. When you stop learning, listening, and adapting you start to become obsolete. Then you are just a cranky old person telling others how your generation is so much smarter, better, hard working, etc.

I’m 55 now and work hard to understand new technology and new ways of doing things. Young people don’t have the same skills as I do but, in most cases, they don’t need them. I taught my kids to change tires, brakes, wipers, filters, and oil. I never taught them how to do a valve lash adjustment or change a distributor cap and rotor because they will never need that knowledge. I never dismiss my kids points of view and try hard to understand the world through their eyes. They appreciate my knowledge and the fact that I don’t try to tell them that my way is always better (it’s not).

Don’t be a dinosaur. Read, listen, and learn. Embrace new ideas and different ways of thinking. Share what is useful with younger folks while they share their knowledge of the brave new world with us. Listen to learn, not react. If you are trying to come up with a response while a younger person is talking to you then you will miss the opportunity to learn.

2 Likes

Margarine vs butter, in MN, through the early sixties, margarine could not be dyed yellow. It was sold white and a separate dye pack was included to make it yellow.
The dairies tried to reduce the competition from margarine.

The situation is not the smarter or not.
Every individual has a different level/concept of what is important. Our brains are wired differently.
Knowledge can be provided, then either accepted or rejected. Just look at many of the threads on this site.
I have known people that will ask the same question of numerous people until they get an answer that agrees with their preconceived notion.
Same with what is considered ‘common sense’, each individual has a different idea of that.
Any of you that took the military placement exam (I do not recall the proper name of the exam) it seemed quite simple, I scored in the 95 percentile, yet in basic training one half of our training flight came in under President Johnson’s project 100,000 people that were only able to achieve the 40 percentile in one area of the exam.

I tried some vegan “butter”at dinner with my niece. I nearly gagged. Wow. Talk about crap. Would work well as grease on my squeaky garage door track.
Vegan butter is not edible. And I don’t live in India.

I went to dinner with a friend at a vegan restaurant and found the food to be quite good. Special bonus, wine is vegan!!!

1 Like

If you pay your bill in full every month–as I do, and as all of my friends and relatives do–there are no interest charges. The result of using my credit card for every purchase (except the car wash, where they only accept cash) is that I reap well over $600 per year in cash rebates from the credit card companies.

Unless those people are paying for life-saving help or other emergent situations with their credit card, then they clearly need to exercise fiscal discipline with their spending.

I think you might be referring to the ASVAB.

Could be, way back in 1969. Pretty simple test.

My wife talked me into this years ago. I was skeptical at first, but it’s legit and the rebates are nice. We purposefully put charges on the credit card now instead of using a debit card or cash.

Not to mention the protections many banks provide.

I agree with you, but it is a little easier to be disciplined in your spending with cash only or debit cards. Once you’re out, you just don’t buy anything! I think it’s good to start out with no credit cards when you’re young and poor. Once you’re established, you know your routine expenses, have a little in the bank for emergencies, etc, then do the credit card thing for the cash back points if you want. Obviously the credit card companies are getting financing for the cash back rebates from somewhere. Unfortunately, it’s most likely from people with credit card debt…who probably need the cash back rebates more than anyone.

… and, most of those protections don’t extend to purchases made with debit cards.

Yup. I use my credit card for almost every purchase. Then pay the balance at end of month. It’s extremely rare that I have a balance left over for the next month. When we first got married it was sometimes hard to do that. So you have to ask yourself do you really need that purchase.

I still get $60/week cash out of the atm. That’s my spending money for lunches, if I decide I want a 6 pack, and everything else I might waste money on. Once I’m out, I just go without. Use the credit card for everything else, basically. Essentials like gas and groceries all go on the card to get the points.

I think it’s easier to spend more money and not realize it with the credit card. I feel like I’d spend more if I put literally everything on the card because I’d never run out of funding and probably not keep track of how much I spent until the end of the month.

Once, back in the '70s, I somehow forgot to pay my Exxon credit card bill one month, and–naturally–I had to pay interest on the next month’s bill. Even though the interest payment was a small amount, I gave myself a dope slap, resolved to never again be in that situation, and several decades later I have never again had that happen.