Are you smart enough to maintain your car?

That is very similar to asking a kid to make a call on a rotary-dial phone. I once saw a video of that type of situation, and neither of the two teenage boys could figure out how to do it.

EDIT:
I found it!

Ask a todayā€™s kidā€™s about a pay phone 9 timeā€™s out of 10 they think you are talking about prepaid.

2 Likes

2 years ago we actually ran across one at an airport. My youngest son asked me what that was.

All my kids are into golf like their parents. They all questioned me on why the bigger clubs are called ā€œWoodsā€. Luckily I had an old one buried in my cellar to show them.

1 Like

My niece has difficulty understanding that when I was a kid, there was no internet. If you wanted to know something you asked your parents, who probably told you to look it up, so you rode your bike down to the library.

I went for a walk with my dad once. At the time we lived at the top of a mountain in the Southwest, in a small neighborhood surrounded by forest. He got us hopelessly lost and we ended up wandering around for 5 hours until we found ourselves at a post office down at the bottom of the mountain far away from our entrance road. Then we had to wait another hour for Mom to get off the phone so dad could tell her to come get us. The funny part of the story is that we lived at the top of the mountain. Like, Dadā€¦ Go up. Weā€™ll find it.

I told that story around a fire a couple years ago and my niece couldnā€™t get over the idea that Dad couldnā€™t just whip out a smart phone and navigate home with a map.

Of course, when I was a kid I found it hard to believe that my grandparents, who grew up in the '20ā€™s, had a horse and buggy as their daily driver. I remember going over to their house and being amazed at the little metal medallion on the kitchen wall that proudly stated ā€œthis modern house is powered by electricity!ā€

Millennials use the technology we Baby Boomers invented.

The rule is if you are lost in the woods, head for the high ground. Problem is no high ground in Amsterdam, but the second rule is always carry taxi money.

In West Virginia, that would likely get you lost or exhausted.
Head for low ground; most people live along streams.
Only broad, flat hilltops have population.
Rule 2 is useless; no taxis.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s like Vermont (the mountain state). The towns/cities are in the low lying areas where the water is. Some 10+ years ago the remnants of a hurricane hit VT and dumped over 11" of rain there in less then 5 hours. That 11" of rain in the mountains equated to 11ā€™ of water in the valleys causing major major flooding.

Business Insider

Iā€™ve still got my dwell meter and vacuum gauge in their original boxes, and the timing light I bought at a farm auction in its original carton that was probably 20-25 years old when I bought it in 1973. Its internal power supply isā€¦a vibrator!

Coming in late here, but I used to carry a tool box in my trunk for roadside repairs. No more. Things donā€™t break, and if they do you canā€™t fix 'em.

1 Like