Are Electric Cars The Answer? I Think Not

I’ve seen estimates of 7 cents a mile for electric cars vs. more than 21 cents per mile for internal combustion engine cars. Here’s a source for the information:

Not to be too picky, but it looks to me like, from that diagram, that the propeller shaft coming from the steam turbine is actually TURNING what is called the ‘electric propulsion motor’ for the ELECTRICAL system of the sub; then the shaft is continuing straight through to the propeller. Which means, the sub is being driven forward by direct steam generated power, turning the ‘electric propulsion motor’, which is a way to recharge the batteries; etc. However, the sub can run on the ‘electric propulsion motor’ (note the clutch just forward of the ‘epm’)when it needs to; i.e. silent running, out of fuel, etc. like the conventional subs did.

So, you’re both right… and wrong… LOL

It comes down to what percentage does the sub run on direct steam power, and what percentage does it run on electric? I’d hazard a guess that it runs mostly on steam, and electric is sort of back up. Not unlike a Toyota Prius! Our subs are Hybrid!

While we’re nitpicking, I’ll mention that the B-29 was the first bomber with a pressurized and heated cabin, so the electric heated suits weren’t necessary on them.

Hey Whitey,…
My folks have a cabin in MN we go to for our 2 week a year vacation. My 66 100 hp searay died and rather than buy a boat bought a vehicle to tow our boat a 17,5’ 90 horse, along with wife, kid 2 cats and a dog. I had a 4 cyl manual trans ford ranger that I dragged the boat around locally but had problems at pea gravel and sand boat launches, so I had to pick concrete launches at the time. Rentals of ski boats in our area lake are min $125 dollars per day, after 14 days you do the math.

When I do my own research I find people selling electric motorcycles at http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_electric_motorcycles.php , electric scooters at http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_electric_scooters.php , electric ATVs at http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_electric_ATEV.php , and electric cars at http://www.teslamotors.com/ and http://www.zenncars.com/ .

Why do you think we will have problems disposing of the batteries? We recycle batteries, don’t we? When you replace the battery in your personal vehicle, how do you currently dispose of the old one? Why would the batteries in electric cars be any different?

Instead of engaging in juvenile partisan bickering, take a look at reality. It is right in front of your nose.

Then I guess it is a good thing the internal combustion engine isn’t going anywhere. There will be room for both the I.C.E. and electric vehicles for a long time.

I don’t understand why we are having this discussion. I never claimed electric vehicles would make the I.C.E. go away. Nobody is talking about taking away your truck, and nobody claims an electric car will replace the truck for heavy duty applications. My only position is that electric cars would be appropriate for many average commuters, who exist in large enough numbers that their use would reduce our dependence on oil.

Many people claimed the Internet and the servers that power it would overtax our electrical grid. After all, it also takes a lot of power to cool the rooms that house the servers that power the Internet. Those skeptics were wrong.

Since the current recession has worsened, fuel prices have dropped because of a drop in demand. When the economy starts to recover, you will see demand increase and gas prices go back up to at least $4/gallon. Wouldn’t it be nice if we kept demand down even as the economy recovered? Electric vehicles could help us do that. Not everyone would want or need to switch to electric vehicles. Only the people who want electric vehicles would buy them, and they would be doing their part for the security of our country. Even George W. Bush has admitted that reducing our demamd for oil will improve our national security. It isn’t some liberal conspiracy.

Until the heater quit, or caught on fire, or had battle damage. I heard you say “first”.

Back to the electric boats and storage. Life has changed so much since the fifties that it is hard to recognize it now. Remember when there were no convenience stores, or ones that sold gasoline? How about leaded gasoline? I lived when there were no satellites. Sudoku or Karaoke anyone? I’m recording LPs onto CDs even as we freak. The IBM Selectric typewriter was a wonderful invention but still used carbon paper. One thing that is certain, life will change. Maybe we will not be stopped on RT 40 in Ca. so that we can deny bringing wallnuts and almonds into the state. The only constant thing seems to be the price of Converse All-Stars. Coach Bowerman doesn’t have to mold track shoe soles with a waffle iron anymore. OOPS, in my other post, I wrote about things that could happen in the future as if those things were happening right now. We still have to tow our own boats.

“Even George W. Bush has admitted that reducing our demamd for oil will improve our national security. It isn’t some liberal conspiracy.”

And to that end, demand doesn’t even have to be reduced dramatically. Just the presence of an alternative energy source will put oil in it’s rightful place as a commodity we don’t fight wars over, but instead a resource available to all at a reasonable price.

By the way…when did “liberal” become a dirty word. Doesn’t the dictionary define a liberal as someone who will consider a variety of solutions/proposals. Does this crisis demand no less ? I would hope you would want a “liberal” doctor if you ever had a need for exploratory surgery; instead of "I’m taking out your appendix no matter what’s wrong."
or less than liberal dentist with “drill baby drill”.

All good points. I can remember when “liberal” meant “open to new ideas.” As a radical moderate myself, I am getting sick of both people on the extreme right and people on the extreme left. Far too many people who call themselves liberal are intolerant of people who don’t share their views. Although I usually share their views, I can see how “liberal” has become a dirty word. There are far too many intolerant liberals out there, giving the rest a bad name.