Any truth to the notion that a car is conditioned to a certain type of driving?

If it’s cheaper, it’s a keeper.

The only truth in this notion as I can see is that some components on a car may not show their weakness with less stressful use. Suspension components come to mind, esp. through decay(rust), poor transmission, cooling system maintenance etc… When stressed, perhaps by the second owner, things break, prompting the new owner to feel the car was “broken in” to some one else habits, when in reality, the low stress level use, hid it’s faults.

I’ve seen it a lot with older trucks, that in their second life were asked to do what was intended, but the ravages of time and poor maintenance rendered useless for anything but commuter cars they were used for previously.

Smart buyers would do well to have used cars checked for integrity regardless of their light use.

Agreed. The discussion above is pure theory. Regarding the OP’s question, the Prius should be fine.

I thought I’d mention that some recent vehicles use what’s called “fuzzy logic” to learn an individual’s driving style and will tailor the transmission shifts (and possibly other behavior) to the driver’s style, having learned the behavior. However, after some time with a different driver, the car should readjust.

Aside from this, I swear I’ve had vehicles that wouldn’t run right unless you occasionally ‘drove it like you stole it’

…and it occurs to me that any fuel injected vehicle will adjust the ‘fuel trim’ to the current operating conditions—which likely will vary depending on how aggressive the driver is and how they treat the throttle—of course this should readjust to a new driver in time.

Buy the Prius. It’s a good car and you should get a great deal since it belongs to your parents. Modern vehicles can run city or highway easily. I love theory but theories can rarely be proven. Even Einstein is wrong in some areas.

Since all engines in daily drivers constantly go through their ranges as we accelerate, stop, and pass the elderly, these details matter not

Aren’t you forgetting about that car you passed, driven by the “elderly”? ;D

If we ever employed a mechanical engineer that had to visit a website to gain insight into these topics, they would be canned on the spot! Heck, every motorhead I know understands these simple principles from practical experience.

Sometimes, I wonder how many people who contribute on this site have ever actually taken apart an engine let alone ridge reamed a well worn motor.

If you’ve ever done any engine work beyond simply restoring an already designed engine, you better understand inertia, thermal expansion, rod stretch and a host of other “theories” or enjoy throwing money away.

Anyway, it was refreshing to see your post. Yes, the issues do not apply in this case and I think I pointed that out quite clearly in my first post. The OP asked about the potential for problems and I simply pointed one of them out. Hopefully, that will help them speak to the issue if the topic comes up in discussions with others.

Consider me thrashed.

My point was that yeah, these things about an engine wearing into a pattern that then has to be respected or pay a price because of piston travel is based on technical truths and, in extreme applications, may have a grain of applications truth…but let’s be real here…the man is buying a Prius for daily driving. This cool technical stuff really has no significance here.

And, bottom line, the man should enjoy his new Prius and not be in the least concerned.

I have been at plenty of social gatherings where rod strech came up :).

Did he bring beer?

I hear you, but I’m thankful he was right in most.