Another quickie lube story

The British developed a method of closely regulating the expulsion of contaminated oil from engines, transmissions and rear axles and conveniently trickling it onto rust prone areas under the cars. It was a grand idea. But they patented it and Detroit, except for Studebaker, refused pay for the privilege to use it. .

1 Like

@MikeInNH I know another person in the same area that bought a new 1969 Ford pickup truck, was drivien on the same roads, did not have the Ziebart or any other rust treatment and did not rust as my father-in-law’s pickup did.
Now one case doesn’t prove anything one way or the other. This was almost 50 years ago that these trucks I knew about were purchased new. I am sure the trucks have been out of service for years.
I believe that auto manufacturers today do a much better job of rust proofing cars at the factory today and aftermarket rust treatment isn’t needed.
Rust in my area is the biggest reason cars are scrapped. When I bought a new car back in 1978, I considered a Honda Accord, but back then, Honda had rust issues. I bought a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass instead. I kept that car 33 years and didn’t have rust show up until the car was 25 years old. Honda was replacing the front fenders on cars back then after three years.
One of our vehicles is a 2003 Toyota 4Runner. It shows no signs of rust. My wife keeps that vehicle looking like it just came from the showroom. The 2017 Sienna I drive looks like it has been through three wars, but it isn’t rusted. The 2011 Sienna and the 2006 Chevrolet Uplander are still in the family. Neither of these vehicles shows no signs of rust and neither had aftermarket rust treatment.

I liked those guys, but when showcasing new products, eh.

They have and in most parts of the country aftermarket rust proofing companies are NOT needed. Upstate NY is one of those special places that does due to the obscene amount of snow. Here in NH we only average 50" of snow a year. No rust issues on any vehicle we’ve owned while living here. But upstate NY from Watertown to Syracuse and Buffalo
yea it’s a good idea if you plan on keeping your vehicle 10+ years.

KFC is still the gold standard for fried chicken. There is the drive through.

OK, I stand corrected. I’ll have to find my conglomerate chart again and review it. I still find KFC disgusting. At least put some partitions up to shield us from the folks chewing on their chicken bones.

I had a car with rust proofing. I think it was Rusty Jones though or something. The thing was that most of the panels were galvanized anyway, so it really wasn’t needed. I think the best part though was the coating on the inside of the door panels. It was a waxy type coating, really about the same stuff you can buy at NAPA for the same purpose. At any rate I didn’t see much difference in that car than any of the others that weren’t rust proofed. Also no one would ever do the underbody anymore since that promotes rust, and that’s where you’d get a lot of the salt spray. So I don’t know, not sure I see the benefit and there aren’t many places around anymore since the manufacturers started taking rust seriously.

I thought the best rust proofing though of British cars was that they just didn’t get out on the road much. If they didn’t start, they didn’t get the salt spray. Of course my sample is a little small involving only my 1960 Morris Minor. Not a spec of rust on it though in Minnesota.

Like I said before though, some years ago I was working on some fender rust on a friends Toyota. I don’t remember what year the car was-maybe 86. That fender metal was so thin though, every time I’d try to weld a patch panel on it, I’d just burn through the metal. So yeah, nothing there so the least little rust would eat the whole fender up.

I forgot about that one!

In the ‘70s lots of rust proofing shops in Florida, I don’t think it helped. Plus cars with vinyl roofs would rust through under the vinyl.

Chewing on chicken bones is a good anti-arthritis strategy.

I used to go to Jiffy Lube but I would always mark my oil filter with the date it was installed. Twice the employees failed to change my oil filter.
Also: when I told the manager about it and complained about the repeat fraud, he was a real nasty guy.
I go to Walmart if I am too lazy to change my own oil.

Not what I would call a step up.

3 Likes

I’ve heard stories from co-workers about going to quick-lube or jiffy-lube and they did not have their filters changed either;

I have taught my coworkers the trick of flagging the old filter to see if it gets changed; these quickie places are notorious for failing to change the filter bec they count on lazy people not being willing to crawl under the car and look;

well; at Walmart: I can watch them do the change to make sure they put the right full synthetic in and they always change the filter: so: big step up for me;

btw: I owned a Volvo 240 diesel wagon & it was the worst POS I ever owned; my brother bought the V70 and had so much trouble he forced the dealer to refund him the money; (the dealer had lied to him about mileage et. al.)
My volvo dealer in Michigan employed my bf; he told me stories about the dealer service taking in cars; doing nothing with the customer’s complaint and then giving the car back to the customer with a fake repair invoice;
not what I would call “a step up”

I do my own oil changes. A few times I tried to use the dealer because the cars were new and under warranty. My experience was not any better. The Honda dealer under-filled my CRV and there was oil dripping from the sloppy workmanship-on a brand new car. The Hyundai dealership dented the driver’s door. On another visit for oil consumption testing, they under-pan was full of oil and stained my driveway. Also the receipt said they used 5W-20 oil but the sticker was for 5W-30. God knows what was in the barrel.

One independent shop I went to, gave my Mitsubishi to the kid working there and he was ready to drain the transmission oil and put in another 5 qt of oil in the engine. I caught him before he could mess up.

I think when I get older and can’t do my own oil changes, I will find a gig that I can at least stand and watch as they are doing the oil change.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t eat there either, but I do like the rich dividends that I get from Yum stock.
I bought PepsiCo stock in 1993, and about 4 years later, they spun-off their restaurant division into a separate company–Tricon Global Restaurants. I got that stock gratis.
A few years later, Tricon was renamed as “Yum”. A couple of years ago, Yum spun-off their Chinese restaurant division into a separate entity–Yum China Holdings–and that was also gratis.
As a result of all this, I get dividends from 3 corporate entities, and my total holdings in those companies are now worth somewhere north of $50k. Not too shabby for an initial investment of less than $5k in PepsiCo.
:thinking:

I wouldn’t eat at any of their locations (KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut), but the dividends are very tasty.

1 Like

That is nothing new when it comes to dealerships, unfortunately.
My uncle bought a beautiful new 1960 Chrysler New Yorker convertible, and he had some type of persistent problem that caused him to keep taking it back to the dealership. After several failed repair attempts, he noticed that his car was always parked in the exact same place when he came to pick it up as it was when he had dropped it off.
The next time that he took it in, he placed a pebble on top of one of the tires.
Yup!
You guessed it
 the pebble was still in place when he went to pick up his supposedly repaired car.
After this experience, he learned to take the car to a different dealership that actually did the repairs that they claimed.
My uncle’s term for his treatment at that first dealership was “curb service”.
They simply kept his car parked at the curb, and then lied about having repaired it.
:smirk_cat:

1 Like

Love KFC, but maybe part of your dividends come from the LJS, YUM advertises a LJS special but their franchises do not participate.

1 Like

The ‘60&’61 Chrysler and yes, DeSoto too, are on my most desired list. New Yorker rather than the 300.

Yum’s website doesn’t even mention LJS anymore, so it is possible that they sold that division.

It was an absolutely gorgeous car–white with red leather interior and black convertible top.
It had acceleration that could only be described as
 prodigious
 and the instrument panel was a true work of art when viewed at night.

He got rid of that New Yorker convertible after a couple of years, and bought a '62 Imperial sedan.

1 Like

Those 1960 Chryslers I thought were beautiful cars, especially the Imperial. Our pastor back then always bought new Chryslers. He used to sell cans and bottle caps back east before changing his life so I think he got used to driving expensive cars. I always wanted one.

I have a '60 300F, I had the New Yorker years ago.

1 Like