And what about kicking this dead horse again?

I give them a lot of credit. My brother-in-law started on the line at Chrysler. About 5 years in he qualified for Machinists school - paid for by Chryco. It was a 3 year program. After 20+ years he made it to head machinist then moved to management, and then eventually became plant manager. Those skills are very hard to come by these days.

Syracuse University had the Exact same design stadium. In fact when the the Vikings roof failed SU offered their spare roof to them if they needed it. Last year SU replaced that roof with a solid roof.

Carrier Dome – New Roof | Geiger Engineers

I always liked going to games at the Carrier Dome when I lived in Syracuse. The dome was held up by air pressure so to enter and exit you went through a revolving door. Sometimes after a big game they’d open the regular doors…The air pressure would push you through those doors with air speeds over 70mph. More then once I saw someone knocked to the ground from the wind.

Most all machining shown on ‘How It’s Made’ is CNC, with the only human intervention needed for loading, unloading, and pressing the ‘start’ button. And programming the work, of course. Lots of well paying jobs gone.

Under normal conditions most engine wear occurs during startup. Thinner oils get’s oil to critical engine components faster…especially in cold weather.

My Highlander’s oil recommendation is 0W-20. My wife’s Lexus’s oil recommendation is 5W-30…same engine different years. About a year ago I switched both to 0W-30. No problems. Both engines seem to like it.

If you think finding a good machinist is hard try finding a good old fashioned watchmaker.

2 Likes

No kidding @PvtPublic. I inherited a glass dome mantle clock similar to this

Several shops advertised repairing grandfather clocks and weight driven mantle clocks but it seemed most of them installed solid state mechanisms in place of the mechanical clock works on most of those repairs.

and found no one within a days drive who would consider repairing it.

Look for Horological Societies. Some of their members take on jobs that interest them.

1 Like

The steeper the roof, the longer it lasts around here and the more snow load it can take.

Probably not much of a problem in the Desert Southwest.

WE can build flat or any slope we want. Metal roofing here is allowed but is the most expensive and longest lasting next to slate, so I don’t think we are talking about the same kind of metal roof.

Not within a days drive but one of my class mates studied watch making in Switzerland. Right out of high school. I thought he was nuts but took over the family business. Only works a couple hours a week now though and probably shakes a little more now too.

My neighbor and I considered steel. There are some disadvantages that I don’t quite remember now like noise and leaks. At any rate the cost was about three times standard architectural shingles. Even though the warranty was something like 40 years, that was much longer than either one of us needs. Steel hasn’t really caught on much around here on houses.

I considered metal but at my age it wasn’t worth the price which was nearly double that of the best shingles offered. But on an extremely steep roof it seems that the labor involved with metal would be extremely less than shingles. My roof required 2 men working 1 day to remove the old shingles and tack down roll ‘tar paper’ and 2 men who nailed down shingles the next. In comparison the steep roof near me required several, 3 or more, 1 day to tear down the old and 5+ men 2 days to install new roofing because it required so many ladders to be fixed to the roof and safety ropes used by the workers.

In places that get a lot of snow (like the Tug-Hill plateau north East of Syracuse) - metal roofs are far more common. Even with a 12-12 pitch with shingles you need to worry about snow buildup. The snow slides off metal roofs…just don’t be underneath when it does. But it really is cost prohibitive for most of us.

I was on the house committee at the church I attend. The roof over the sanctuary needed to be replaced. An engineer on the committee suggested a metal roof. The cost wasn’t a lot more than asphalt shingles, so we went with the metal roof. The exposed ceiling had no insulation between the exposed pine boards and the roof. The roofers put down styrofoam under the metal roof. The heating bill for that part of the building was reduced by over $100 a month. When the roof over the rest of the building needed to be replaced, we also went with a metal roof.
One person on the committee thought that the sanctuary would be noisy during a heavy rain. That has not been the case. The styrofoam insulation blocks out the noise.
I think metal roofs are making a comeback. In the late 1940s and early 1950s when I attended a country school, there were quite a few houses and barns on our bus route built before 1900 had metal roofs.

When I lived in Anchorage they built a grand new performing arts center with metal roofs 40’ above the sidewalks in downtown. They quickly discovered your observation, had to add snow fences:

You must have gotten a hell of a deal then. I replaced the roof on my home a few years ago. The place I went with also does metal roofs. The cost difference was more then triple. I went with architecture shingles.

@MikeInNH. I’ll have to look up the figures, but it was less than twice the cost. When we figured in the life expectancy of the roof, I think we came out ahead.
I am seeing more houses here in East Central Indiana being re-roofed with metal roofs. The roof on my house is almost 16 years old and I may go with a metal roof.
To keep this car related, I want things to last indefinitely. I had a chance back in 1964 to buy a used 1961 Checker. It came from a fleet at the university where I was working on a master’s degree. The Checker had been traded in at the local Ford agency. It didn’t have a lot of miles, but apparently nobody liked driving it because it was underpowered. Being an old country boy, that didn’t bother me. I didn’t want to finance a car, so I turned it down. Had I bought that Checker, I would probably still be driving it. Like the metal roofs, Checkers would last a lifetime.

Speaking of metal roofs and snow:
Just Watch This Japanese Video Of A Snowy Roof Because It’s So Very Satisfying (jalopnik.com)

You might have to go to NOLA for that, or check on line for someone you can send it to. I assume you live in the southern part of MS, not a up north, like Clarksdale.

Interesting I never realized the Carrier Dome was air inflated. Never actually saw it in person, I would likely get lost walking around there with all the changes since oh 1976. Is the King David restaurant still there on M street??

No idea. I haven’t lived in Syracuse area for over 35 years. I get back there every a couple times a year, but rarely do I ever get up to Campus. I was living in Syracuse when they constructed the Carrier Dome I actually saw the roof inflate it’s first time. And last year they replaced it with a solid roof.