And I thought it was just my eyes getting old

the same mountainbike: My vision changes down and now up were over 48 years. When I got my drivers permit in 1967 on my 15th birthday (My Mom drove me to DMV and I legally drove her home) for $.50. It was valid until I aquired my drivers license. The next year I was disappointed that my birthday fell on a Saturday and I had to wait until Monday to get my driver’s license. I could have left my Mom there (theoretically, but that could have resulted in retroactive birth control and had legally drove home solo). The license was $2 good for 2 years but was just a paper card. They later had the 4 year with renewal by mail (one time) when we were sent a sticker. Now it is a plastic, photo ID computer chipped card good for 8 years which requires a DMV visit for a current photo. It reminds me of 10 year passport photos. Bob Dylan’s “Black Diamond Bay” lyrics. “Her Passport Shows a Face From, Another Time and Place, She Looks Nothing Like That”. The less I have to deal with DMV the better. I have a triple whammy this year. Two vehicle registrations with no emissions or safety inspections (one done) and my driver’s license renewal. Vehicle registration is $86 for 2 years and driver’s license is $82 for 8 years so I am at least financially ahead of some states.