And I thought it was just my eyes getting old

Bing the acetone will melt the plastic, that is why only one swipe.

@“VOLVO V70”

How’s that 102 year old Nissan Frontier holding up . . . ?! :wink:

The best lamps I’ve had on any car that I’ve ever owned are the plain old glass 5 X 7 Halogens.
Outstanding performance, cheap to buy, and changing one only takes a few minutes.

I think the 1914 Frontiers used the latest in carbide lamp technology… :wink:

1914 Frontier probably used a candle in a glass box with a mirror at the back.

I’m no chemist, but I’ve used acetone with plastics before.

Basically, acetone is a very strong solvent. It’ll dissolve…damn near everything, including many plastics. IIRC, it is one (the main?) ingredient in PVC cement. Sure smells that way, at any rate. What acetone would do (if everything works right) is similar to what a Zamboni does to cut-up ice: it would dissolve and liquefy the top layer of plastic…the cracks in which is where the “haze” comes from. Then, you could either wipe off the solution, or let it evaporate, and the solid plastic underneath would form the new, haze-free optics.

There’s a bunch of ways this could go sideways. I could see doing this prior to replacement–at that point, you have nothing to lose. I’d certainly start small and work up–you can always use more; you can’t undo it if you used too much and turned your lens into a stinky puddle!

I use a dab of buffing compound on a towel with 30 seconds of effort to clean the film from the headlights on my Status every other year. I have an extra set of lamps from a 2000 Stratus but have not found the need to install them.

Lexus has offered LED headlights on hybrids since 2008 and on some non hybrids since 2014.

The 2016 ES350 is no longer available with HID headlights, the base models have halogen headlights and LED headlights are an option. HID lights may turn out to be something that was offered during a short period of automotive history.

I have noticed that regular waxing of the headlights postpones the discoloration by quite a few years.

1914 FRONTIER IS doing quite well-I thought about editing but I think I will leave it because maybe someone else can have fun at my expense.

I have tried many restoration techniques but the only one that seems to last is having a collision shop sand them and then apply several clear coats to them. Sunlight is what causes the lenses to cloud over and the clear coat applies a heavy layer of UV protection. I had this done several years ago to my 2004 Sienna and the lenses still look brand new. And it was MUCH cheaper than replacing the lenses.

A possible problem with acetone is uneven application, leading to incomplete removal of the fogged top layer. The paint surrounding the headlight can be masked with tape to prevent acetone from touching the paint. You can also use water to rinse the acetone off; it is water soluble. All this could be avoided by removing the headings and working on a bench. Still, you can’t beat the control offered by sanding and buffing.

All I know is that whatever the light source in these new cars…Whether it be Lightning Bugs, Candles, LED’s, HID’s or Burning a piece of Carbide…They are FRYING MY EYES TO DEATH…I am literally BLINDED by any and all new vehicles…and its actually not funny anymore.

I think I saw an X-Ray of my skull imprinted on my back seat after a few encounters!

Blackbird

There’s no question that some of the late model lights are bright, especially HID units. but… and I mean this seriously and with respect… have you had your eyes examined recently by an ophthalmologist? There are conditions common to aging that can cause washout even with normal lights. I speak from experience. I’ve had the lenses replaced in both eyes.

I’ve been pondering having my eyes checked lately @“the same mountainbike” I am getting older that is for sure. Didn’t you guys just have to correct me recently over my “Camaro/Camry” incident ? Honestly I made that error by skimming over things to fast and not paying attention…I think…Oh man

I never had to wear glasses or lenses and have had 20/15 vision as long as I can recall…last test was 10yrs ago…and fairly regularly prior to that. But 10yrs is a lifetime ago in eye measurement time I know. Eye sight can change within a single year. Part of it is stubbornness I’m sure, but I have no trouble seeing words or letters or anything really from any distance.

Lately it has been this random Night Blindness… It is by no means constant and I can see the incidents before they happen…Uh oh here is another one of those cars with those lights!! 'I’m not blinded by anything else at night, at all. I haven’t figured out if it is the “Night Sun” Helicopter lights these new cars have, how they are aimed… or is it ME and my eyes being the problem? Doesn’t happen with all head on light at night situations. I guess it cant hurt to bring the eyes into the garage for a check.

Honestly I’m fairly convinced its not me…but I too am human and I aint gettin any younger. I was convinced I would live forever too… DAMNIT guys do you mean I have to go through the rest of my life with my head and thoughts being 25 yrs old…but my body moves on up in age? That isn’t fair guys…it just isn’t!

Blackbird

@Honda Blackbird
"… DAMNIT guys do you mean I have to go through the rest of my life with my head and thoughts being 25 yrs old…but my body moves on up in age? That isn’t fair guys…it just isn’t!"

Welcome to my world! :wink:
You do know that aging vehicles require more care and monitoring, right? People do, too.

I have even changed my eating habits (I’m almost one of those daxx vegetarians :neutral:), lost weight and work out and exercise almost too much, but as you age this stuff starts to become more important.

Your eyes are probably just fine, but you should be having them checked annually. I have a good clinic that has several Ophthalmologists (medical doctors) and all the latest equipment and techniques. Each one has a specialty, retina, cornea, etcetera, although they are all “Master Mechanics”.

I’ve had a couple little issues with my eyes over the past few years and they know what to do and take good care of me. It makes the 2 hour trip well worth it.

Get your eyes checked and you’ll feel better about the whole thing. Also, they may give you some suggestions or solutions for dealing with the bright headlights.
CSA

I dont see anyone agreeing that the new headlight are melting their brains as well on here. You mean NOBODY agrees with these blinding lights on new cars? Doesnt happen to me with “normal” headlights.

I guess I really do need to get checked out… I am an Aging Gear Head… :frowning: Damnit…

Blackbird

Honda Blackbird: I had major problems with on-coming HIDs. The first time I drove my 2010 Kia at night I noticed they did not bother me as much. The new problem with the noticeably brighter Kia lights was being frequently flashed with high beams when I was using low beams. This became less frequent and completely stopped about 2 years ago. My theory is that drivers learned that newer model lights tended to be brighter plus more late model vehicles were on the road. Believe it or not I found a scientific article explaining in technical terms far above my level of education that photons colliding directly head-on and even at a slight deflection can diminish their intensity! Unfortunately I did not save the link. I am also familiar with “Night Sun”. Our National Guard helicopters used it when required. I don’t recall the exact specs but they’re something like 10 gazillion candlepower.

Yes indeed…that helicopter light is Aptly named for certain…

Enjoy your youth while you can. I remember my first indication was laying under the car and I couldn’t get my head far enough away to focus, then of course in church we couldn’t share books because mine was far away and the wife’s would be close up. But then the clincher when I couldn’t hardly read the computer screen anymore at work. So I went to have my eyes checked and ordered glasses. Its not so bad and I’m happy I made it over 50 years without them.

@Honda Blackbird
"I guess I really do need to get checked out…"

Yes sir. Everything will be fine, I’m sure, but you need to start a regular maintenance schedule, based more on age than miles.

My brother-in-law, a couple years your senior hadn’t gone to the eye doc in years and went to be checked. Good thing he did. He had high pressure in his eyes. That was fairly easily treated and had it not been could have caused major vision problems had he not caught it early.

I also recommend an annual (or as recommended by doctor) full-body check by a dermatologist. That’s another one of those “catch it early” things (skin cancer), easily treated in early stages. Once a doctor checks you he/she can tell you when to go again. My young daughter got me on that schedule.

On the topic of bright lights, the bright new ones bother me sometimes, too, but I’m never quite sure if I’m looking into dims or brights.
CSA

@“Honda Blackbird”, do you see a halo around street lights? If the bright headlights bother you and you see the halos, you may have advancing cataracts. An opthalmologist will check for them. They will put drops in your eyes to dilate them and then look in with an extremely bright light (wouldn’t you know it…). The doctor will let you know if she sees anything unusual.

Let me digress for a moment. I’m going to do it anyway. I’m angry and frustrated that my cataracts aren’t progressing faster. Three years ago my opthalmologist said she thought I’d need replacement lense in 5 years. Last year she upped it to 10 years. I want them now!! I’ve worn glasses since I was 5, and I want to lose them. The replacement lenses use different eye prescriptions in a bulls eye pattern, and people with these lenses only need reading glasses for the finest details. I’ve dreamed of not needing glasses for almost 60 years, and I’m ready for it. I’m not ready to pay for it, just ready for the procedure.