Amish Are being Persicuted!

that all depends on which road you mean

I guess my point was if the Amish are charged a road fee, for horse hooves frack sand trucks should have to pay more due to the intense heavy traffic, that surely leads to road degredation, but I can understand the umbrella approach that the maintenance is under fuel taxes. The Frac sand mining bill defines no setbacks and introduces carcinogenic silica into the air. and is an attempt to remove frack sand mining operations from local control. "A 2012 Wisconsin Supreme Court case, Zwiefelhofer v. Town of Cooks Valley, was the catalyst for the legislation. The court found that local governments could use police powers, which protect the health, safety and welfare of residents, instead of zoning to regulate nonmetallic mining.

“The court’s ruling opened the door for some municipalities to change the rules of the game on legally operating businesses and in some instances threatening basic property rights and putting jobs at risk,” Tiffany said in a statement issued Feb. 26."

Well Barkydog, I think you miss the fact some studies claim all the harm and other studies disprove the same. We can tell what studies you read.
The high Diesel tax and the much higher registration fees for those trucks should off set the maintainence of the roads.
Would these evil miners be the same bunch that were attacked in the woods of northern Wisconsin, throwing rocks, stealing personal property of the workers, and doing damage to their equiptment.
And they were just the crew sent out do test wells, to explore the possability.

There can be evil environmentalists too. Remember a few years back when they were lighting SUVs on fire because they were evil gas hogs.
Not every one can opperate with a little smart car. I’d have a heck of a time getting my 120# anvil in that. It would be like the cartoons, load the truck and it tips over.

Yosemite

Same as some in DC, they justify their actions by falsely believing that they are saving the planet from those evil humans that will otherwise destroy it. If we just kill off all the humans, the planet will be better off. They won’t admit it but thats what’s in the back of their minds and its their lifes work.

How true.
THey are being persicuted and we should all listen to their side, but sit with a bunch and try voicing the other sides views and they will not let you speak. Look at the students and faculty that protest some speaker Like Condi Rice,. What are they afraid of…hearing an oposing view!!!
They will be glad to listen to a rebel from the 1970s that bombed some ROTC office, but bring in someone that has stature and "they are the enemy.

Who’s closed minded!!!

Yosemite

Sorry to get too involved in local wi politics, but the major jist of recent legislation takes away control of local communities.

Milwaukee referendum overturned Never forget about one year ago when Scott Walker signed a bill overturning the sick pay/family leave referendum originally approved by Milwaukee voters by a 70/30 margin. The GOP/Walker bill declared that statewide leave provisions trump local ordinances and prohibits cities, villages, towns and counties from adopting their own. Some Republicans at the time actually said that “the people” should not be able to vote themselves provisions or laws that they could directly benefit from.

State Rep. Chris Kapenga ® has introduced a bill that “prohibits local governments from enacting or enforcing a minimum wage law,” the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Tuesday. Kapenga rejects that depiction of his bill as trampling on local authority, however, saying that it would only apply to projects that involve state or federal dollars. Still, one Milwaukee County official called the measure “a slap in the face.”
More if you care.

When I worked at the greenhouse as a kid, the owner was the town mayor. I remember him saying when talking about some controverial issue like the sewage plant or something that “it’s not what the people want, it’s what we think the people should have”. He was serious and I had visions of the Stasi in Germany. But you have to admit, he did have a point. In our representative government system that we have, we elect people to make decisions for us and sometimes those decisions will be counter to what we actually want. Who is right will be determined later on after the dust settles and the bills come in.

As Yosemite said,the hard surfacing on the shoes does a lot of harm to the road(ask the state maintenence Guys ) and you should see what it does to the surface of a concrete bridge ,I think 50 dollars is very reasonable,now if we could do something about mopeds and other 2 wheelers that have no place on a busy highway( wait there is a solution-called bike lanes and paths(all for them by the way)-,trucks pay exorbiant taxes now,by the way-Kevin

I think I’ll just let the politic’s issue drop.
Though I’m a conservative…and a backer of Scott Walker’s handling of the state. I don’t think that this issue should be brought up in this forum. We both could site our sides achievments and as politics is involved there’s always a way to bend things our own way…just like a politician does.

A guy goes the the doctor and explains that he has been having trouble concentrating on things and his memory is far from what it used to be. THe doctor examines him and concludes that his brain is just plain worn out and that he needs a transplant.
The doctor then opens the doors to a large cabinet…containing jar after jar of preserved brains that came from people that met death way too early. The doctor states "you can look them over and pick a new brain for us to transplant…the prices are on them.“
The man looks over the selection and asks…“I don’t understand the pricing on these, there is a Mechanics brain for $ 15,000, a Genetic Engineer for $20, 000 and a Horseshoers brain for $15,000, but there is a politicians brain for $250,000…I don’t understand why that one is so expensive”.
The doctor reply’s " Well, that one was hardly used”.

Yosemite

Part of the reason the horseshoes damage the roads is that states switched from concrete to asphalt, which gets soft during the summer. The Amish are using the same basic horseshoe design they have been using for centuries. It doesn’t seem fair to blame them for the government’s decision to make roads that can’t stand up to normal use.

Sorry Whitey; the use of these types of traction were never used…or thought of before the 1960s.
In the old days the shoe just had a mild steel square bar welded across the toe and the last 3/4 of an inch of heel were turned up by the smithy to protrude toward the ground. Called a toe grab and heel calks these were used mainly in the field to avoid slipping in the wet grass and traction to dig in as… pulling a plow, and not on the typical cart horse. Remember…before the 1950s most roads (maybe not highways) were packed gravel and no traction was needed for the horse. These people then avoided the paved roads because there were plenty of alternative routes that were unpaved.

You didn’t read the part in my post, where I have to warn people that this stuff added to a shoe, will chew up your concrete just as easy. Just walka horse with Drill Tec down a concrete aisle and you can see the scratches!!!

Yosemite

In Lancaster County where I live, the Amish Buggies do put mild “ruts” in the roads they travel on but they primarily travel on certain back roads; not too much on the numbered highways. I thought it was the steel straps around the buggy wheels that did the damage since the path the wheels take seem to describe the “ruts”. Maybe I’m wrong here. In Pennsy gasoline tax & vehicle registration pay for road repair. Of course the Amish don’t use gas & only motor vehicles are required by law to be registered. So with a view to egalitarianism one could say they’re getting over in this arena.

If you step back & see the forest for the trees though you’ll see that on balance, when it comes to taxes the Amish pay more than what they get. They own quite a bit of land that they pay property taxes on which go to the public schools which Amish don’t use.

Many Amish farmers still refuse Federal farm subsidies. Many Amish businessmen of various
stripes refuse earned income credit.

The Amish don’t pay Medicare, Medicaid or Social Security taxes but they don’t get these benefits either.

They pay state, federal & local taxes as we all do.