Air conditioning/gas usage

Thank you for the response. We drive an 05 Honda Pilot and I don’t know if the compressor cycles or not. I guess it’s not a simple question whether colder AC uses more gas than warmer.

“there are high end expensive cars that get good fuel mileage.”

True, I should not have generalized.

Hmmm, I thought most A/C compressors cycled, not to control the cabin temperature but to keep the evaporator coils from icing up. I installed aftermarket A/C on an '82 Prelude and I know that compressor cycled.

no, it’s simple. Yes, compressor cycle to avoid icing, but that has nothing to do with the temperature setting.

Assuming you do not have a climate control system, then The AC is running full blast all the time (less cycling for icing). Under these conditions it obviously makes no difference where you set the temperature, the AC still puts the same load on the engine.

So…I shouldn’t be cruising down the highway at 75 with my roof and my windows wide open? Gee…that would explain a LOT!

My poor abused typanic membrane!

I read the edmunds test and it seems they only tested AC vs open windows at 65 mph. The fact that they couldn’t measure a significant difference tells me the 65 mph is or is very close to that particular vehicle’s crossover point. I would bet that if they went to west Texas and drove I-10 at the 80 mph speed limit, they would have found in favor af AC on/windows closed, and if they had done a 35 mph city drive, they would have found in favor of windows open/AC off.

Most of the systems in the Ag business cycle the compressor with a simple cab thermostat to control temp

I’ve got to get a pocket protector and put some tape on my glasses. Cruisin around town, leave the windows down. On the hiway, crank on the A/C. It’s pretty simple. Nobody cares about the drag co-efficient on a beetle. Ease up.