Aftermarket Steering Wheel Wackiness

Apparently the OP has never been through depositions under oath and had to sit in a witness chair while being grilled ruthlessly by lawyers.

I guarantee you that it will be impossible to defend this deliberate act or outlawyer the insurance company attorneys who will be salivating at the bit to tear you apart in the interrogatories and the courtroom. And you cannot plead the Fifth…

And I agree with MikeinNH about your being held criminally liable if someone were to be hurt or killed while operating your car.

1 Like

Its a track car… get off your high horse pal

All you had to do is make that clear from the start of your thread . So the misconception is your fault.

1 Like

how does that affect the issue at hand? I had no concern of legal issues… everyone brought that up for no reason.

Yes there was a reason . Because modifications like you have done should not be done to a vehicle meant for the public streets.

1 Like

You should have mentioned track car in the original post instead of allowing this to fester for a couple of days. That being said, have at it.

I understand that, but that has nothing to do with the topic which I originally posted. I didn’t ask if I was going to run into legal issues because that’s not the problem I’m having. I shouldn’t have to clarify if the car is for the streets or not, I just wanted to know why the idle is acting funny now.

Welcome to the internet!

When you post things in a public forum, you will get advice. Sometimes that advice won’t laser-focus on what you’re asking, because people are trying to help, and there are things many people do not consider when they form a plan to do something. It’s considered poor practice to crap on them for being helpful.

For instance, now that we know you’re racing the car, someone might mention that if you don’t get track insurance and you get hurt or crash into someone or something, you face financial ruin. If someone mentions that, the proper response is “thanks for the advice.”

4 Likes

If you had asked for legal advice you would have been told “This is Car Talk, not legal talk” but since you asked for car advice you get legal advice. There is not much moderation here, if you flag something as “off topic” people will cry.

1 Like

Hats off to @shadowfax I’ll chime in.

As someone who tracks his street car… Be sure and read your car insurance forms. Most specifically say they will not cover any track event at all. You wreck it, you pay for it. Most used to say no coverage for “racing” but a few got caught out by “drivers education track events” which is NOT racing and they had to pay out. Insurance companies got wise to that.

The track day waivers you sign (and NO one reads) all pretty much say the same thing… You are big boys and girls, you know the risks and anything you break, you pay for including the track walls, tire barriers and your car, regardless of who is at fault. Yeah, lawyers can play games with those but you will sign the track’s version and the sanctioning bodies version as a double barrier. Damage to another’s car is a very gray area. Damage at track days is usually confined to your own car and track property. Nonetheless, an umbrella liability policy is a great idea to protect yourself.

And even umbrella isn’t good enough. It might cover you for liability, but probably won’t. When I got a camera drone, I asked my insurance company if my umbrella policy covered liability if the thing should lose power and drop on someone’s car. Nope - had to get a separate policy through another company because regular insurance companies won’t even issue liability policies for things that fly. I wouldn’t be surprised if the average umbrella policy also did not cover liability during a track event.

Beyond liability, many health insurance plans will not pay for racing-related injuries. And in some cases that’s any racing. Break your toe running a 5k? You’re on your own if they find out how you got hurt.

Even worse than having to pay for your broken leg after a track day is if you really crack it up and end up disabled and unable to work or dead. Long-term disability and life insurance policies that aren’t specifically written for motorsports often won’t pay a dime.

There is specific motorsports insurance that’s designed to cover you both from a liability and a medical/disability standpoint. It’s not cheap, but frankly anyone who races without it is taking an enormous risk.

Regarding fixing your car if you crash it, there was one insurance company - I don’t remember which one - that used to (and might still) deny claims for wrecks that happened on the street if you were enroute to a motorsports competition. That probably wouldn’t stand up to a lawsuit, but when you’re trying to replace the daily driver that you raced and wrecked, you might not be able to afford a lawyer to take them on.

As for the idle problem, some pre 2000 cars that I have worked on required up to a dozen cold start and drive to fully warmed for the computer to fully reset its idle procedure. And Subaru seems to be somewhat peculiarly independent on technology.

1 Like

I agree, I’m not trying to crap on anyone. But when someone calls me out for saying I’m misleading people, that’s not going to fly. I didn’t ask for legal help. As Mustangman said, we’re big boys and girls I know the legal obligations that come with modifying a vehicle, especially safety modifications. I was not concerned with these from the get go.

That being said, I do appreciate the actual advice I’ve been given. I haven’t had the time to try any of these suggestions out but when I find some free time I will give them a shot.

It all comes down to actually reading your exclusions page (or pages!), doesn’t it? If doesn’t say it isn’t covered, it is. But you have to read them to know for sure.

1 Like

Wait a second… I think I take what I said back. You don’t have a throttle cable on your vehicle…and you deleted the cruise control. I bet you need to do a relearn on your TPS. I’m sure there is a procedure. Since your throttle is fly by wire I CAN see why deleting or changing the config of the last learned Tps / throttle control event would, could or might freak out the confuser in the vehicle.

See if a TPS or throttle control relearn clears up the issue.

P.S. I also recommend pulling any and all fuses related to what was deleted with the steering wheel swap **

P.P.S - @George_San_Jose1 spelled out a very good point…if you scroll a ways up and read it. This may be exactly what is occurring in the brain of the Confuser in your vehicle. Lots of good info here for you to use methinks.

He needs to let everything relearn anyway. He’d have had to disconnect the battery before fooling with the airbag.

You mean he SHOULD HAVE disconnected his battery. Right @shadowfax ? LOL

I’ve seen em done hot, seen em done cold an I seen em explode… You never know what the guy under the hood knows

1 Like

You think not disclosing that your question was about a track car is irrelevant. Not so, you would have received entirely different answers.