Affordable "self-driving" car

I don’t understand why people consider driving so hard that they want self driving cars I can see some safety features but the driver needs to be doing the driving also why does everyone want every thing hands free what do they want to do with there hands? Even in the house they want things like Alexa to do things for them in my opinion people are getting to lazy to do things for themselves.

5 Likes

Overall, I agree.

I didn’t either, until a friend–whose faculties are rapidly declining–said that he is praying for a self-driving car in the near future. I don’t think that I will need anything like that anytime soon, but at some point in the future–as I age–I would probably also welcome that technology.

3 Likes

In that situation I agree but I am talking about young and healthy people wanting it all.

If they are young and lazy, they have my full sympathies. However, their laziness will inevitably lead to earlier loss of full physical and mental functioning. When I take my power-walks, I am amazed at the number of younger folks who are walking at a snail’s pace (while gabbing on their cellphones) as I speed past them… at the age of 73.

Many of our elderly can likely benefit from this technology in the next few years, if it is perfected.
A few years after that, some lazy younger folks–who deteriorated because of their slothfulness–may be able to take advantage of that technology.

I know some people including some truck drivers that know me think that I am crazy for driving manual transmissions [I don’t like automatic transmissions] after many years of driving truck all the truck drivers I know would be happy to never have to mash a clutch pedal again.

How many of them look to be fit enough to keep up with you if they were to put the phones away and try? And how many of them have the problem that seems to be taking over the country called obesity?

There is no point in having it. The more work it takes from you, the harder it ids to pay attention to your driving. The steering, throttle and brake inputs you have to give when driving are the very things that help keep you awake. The real reason that CBs are so ubiquitous in trucks is that engaging in conversations where you are talking rather than just listening also helps keep you awake.

Th conversations themselves are not that important.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the input. To clarify, I have been driving for over 2 decades now, but due to physical conditions I fatigue easily, and my stamina is making it harder for me to drive for a prolonged time so I was looking for some help from technology.

2 Likes

The technology will help in your situation, I have an earlier version of Eyesight in my 2015 Subaru Forester but the adaptive cruise does help on a longer drive, Dad’s 2019 CRV was purchased with the idea of upgrading the safety and tech from his 2007 CRV which otherwise met his needs but he had the itch for Adaptive cruise in particular with a few of the other features of his Touring model being nice to have but not as much of a priority.

If it feels he’s relying too much on lane keep or other assists a little coffee cup shows up on the dash as to suggest a break.

If they were obese, I could understand their turtle-like pace, but in almost every case these are slim to average-weight younger people. Of course, some of them could have underlying health problems that are not visible, but I seriously doubt if all of them do.

Can someone provide some perspectives to tell these products apart one from another? Focusing on those that can be useful in my shortened stamina condition.

Ford Mustang
Cadillac CT4, 5
BMW: 3 Series

Ford Ecosport, Escape, Bronco Sport, Bronco, Edge, Explorer
Subaru Outback
Toyota RAV4
Nissan Rogue, Ariya

You can tell them apart by looking at the name plate on the vehicle .

Come on , your list is all over the place . Just rent a vehicle that might be something you want and see for yourself . Your fatigue problem will most likely occur in any vehicle you drive.

Autonomous vehicles is still not ready for prime time. Don’t equate what they can do NOW to what they should/will be able to do 10 years from now. There are 5 Levels of autonomous vehicles. For the general consumer we are currently at level 3.

1 Like

Odds are they aren’t walking for the same reason you are. Why should they walk faster if fitness isn’t one of their goals? They should, of course, be aware of their surroundings, especially when crossing roads.

Agree with rent some of the vehicles on your list, though many are probably not available for purchase, much less rent.
As far as driving stamina, plan your drive so you can have a rest/coffee break every hour or so, even if it means secondary roads instead of the interstate.

I am thinking that someone who fatigues easily really does not want to depend on any kind of vehicle self control at this stage . If they use the feature when they become tired they might not react quick enough when the system makes an error .

8 Likes

Very very possible.

Also anyone with a medical problem should not depend on it.

so, I see that a good reasoning on the manufacturers’ side that you have “stop-stupid” protections enabled by default, and then you have to explicitly/manually enable “convenience/assist” features (like lane-keep or cruise) every time

None of the self-driving systems will do much to eliminate fatigue, save perhaps the radar cruise controls. But even those, if you use them properly, you should be covering the brake and not relying on the radar to always get it right. Remember, if your adaptive cruise control screws up and makes your car rear-end the guy in front of you, he’s going to sue you, not the cruise control.

One option to work with fatigue, look into mobility-assist hand controls. You can get a joystick controller that will steer, accelerate, and brake the car with fingertip movements. Example here: