Advice re: all-season vs. winter tires for a Mazda 2 hatchback

For a skilled driver that has practiced, maybe, but 2 winter tires up front is dangerous for everyone else…

Re: winter tires on only the drive wheels… on newer cars with ABS and especially with ESC, wouldn’t much of the downside be eliminated?

And you want to be the test rabbit?

The electronics might help, but they can’t cure basic physics - the rear tires will have less (possibly much less) traction than the front tire, encouraging a spin, which would be VERY difficult to stop. And the systems are set up for 4 nearly identical tires, so large differences will cause them problems.

Test rabbits do not have a long life span.

@shanonia The point of winter tires is not to get you moving really(ANY TIRES WILL DO THAT eventually). The point is they offer significantly better stopping, turning and stability. The bonus is getting moving is easier. Getting a FWD vehicle out of a spin is much harder and the difference in traction between all-seasons and winter tires is massive. Apply your brakes on ice the front grabs the rear barely does and will swing around.

ESC won’t do much for you in snow fronts and all-season rear because the way it operates is using a single rear wheel (all-season)will have its brake applied to pivot the car back and likely slip. ABS would be odd. The rear ABS would work overtime trying to prevent the tires from locking due to lack of grip to keep them spinning while front would barely come on with winter tires since they typically always have traction. Not sure how wheel ABS works in this manner.

andewRA, one reason I have 4 winter tires on my 1999 Honda Civic is to get the car moving. As you say, any tires will do that eventually, but I can’t wait here in Duluth, MN for the snow and ice to melt… especially going up hills, with which this beautiful place is well endowed! Better stopping, turning, stability AND starting all played into my decision to buy 4 winter tires, which I have dome twice now for this car.

On what car did you try fronts-only winter tires? Did it have ABS? ESC?

Yep!

You can’t drive up Lake Avenue in Duluth when there’s four inches of snow on the streets, and the vehicle has all-season tires.

Just ain’t goin’ to happen!

Edit: Now trying going down that hill with four inches snow and all-season tires. And imagine what the ABS is trying to do to help you keep the vehicle in control as you pick up speed!

I’ve lost brakes on Lake Avenue!

Tester

Thank you all for your helpful feedback! I intend to buy all-season tires, but due to my work schedule, I will be unable to get new tires until Tuesday 1/19 at the earliest.

“One question that hasn’t been answered: have you had the cause of that improperly worn tire diagnosed and corrected? If not, you need to do that ASAP. Things that cause erratic tire wear are also usually having a huge adverse effect on your traction. A tire that’s bouncing around or not rolling freely won’t provide the traction and control you need.”
@“the same mountainbike” : Thanks for your concern. The cause has not been diagnosed or corrected. I bought the car in Nov. 2015 and didn’t notice the sound until after the tire rotation on 12/30/15. According to my mechanic, with whom I spoke yesterday, the Front Driver’s (FD) tire being “square” in one or even several spots is not a safety issue at this time so I don’t need new tires right away.
Forgive my ignorance, but is there a way to diagnose the cause of the uneven wear w/o knowing the service history of the car? Is there anything that can be done to the tire until I have time to get new tires? My mechanic offered to re-rotate the tires so the FD tire is on the rear as it was when I purchased the car.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you all very much, and drive safely!

"Choices are likely narrow for tiny wheels on a Mazda 2. "
@madRiver : I clicked “agree” because the choices do seem pretty narrow so far, judging from brands available from Town Fair Tire, NTB, and Firestone. I don’t think any Nokias came up in my searches on all three websites.
Thanks!

You should get a get front end check and 4 wheel alignment done, to find out is you have any serious problems that cause the uneven wear. If you are getting new tires soon, make this high priority.

Depending on the type of wear (don’t know what you mean by “square” in a spot) you could have a serious front end problem and a safety concern.

@Jazzhands - go to Nokian web site for Boston area retailers – www.nokiantires.com

@Jazzhands, you can buy tires on line and have them delivered to a local mechanic’s shop for installation. I buy my tires at Tire Rack and have them delivered to my usual repair shop for installation. Tire Rack has a list of shops near you that install their tires. You certainly want to make sure that the installer can balance align your car properly. Tire Rack even quotes prices for the work at their partner shops. I find that going to a large warehouse on line ensures wider choices than any tire store in town could.

Thank you all for the advice. I called NTB and Town Fair Tire today, and the only brand they have in stock for my car is Hankook Optimo H418. I then called Tirerack; of the 12 brands of tires they have for my 2013 Mazda 2 (185/55R15), the gentleman recommended Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season as the best all-season tire that should also perform decently in winter conditions (Thanks, @madRiver) I will probably call them and order the Pirellis to be delivered to an installer.
Does anyone have an opinion on the Hankook Optimo H418?
Thanks again!

I haven’t used that model, but I’ve been happy with Hankook Ventus tires in the 215x45/17 size. Except they wear out fairly quickly… but that size Hankook is only sold in high performance tires, and they don’t usually wear well in any make. The softer compound just doesn’t last.

I have had good luck with Hankook Optimo 727’s.

The November 2015 Consumer Reports gives the P7 a tied-for-top rating among Performance All Season (H-rated) tires. Of the 16 tires in that category they tested, only two are recommended: the P7 and the Michelin Premier A/S. They did not test any Hankooks.

Among “All-Season (T-rated)” tires, 2 of the 15 tested are recommended: Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus and Michelin Defender.

Comparing the two Pirellis, they rate the same on every factor. The overall score of the P7 is 70; the P4 is 66. The P4 's projected tread life is longer and it is $6 cheaper, at least in the size they tested. I would expect the P4 too be a bit cushier and the P7 to be more precisely responsive to steering inputs.

Keep in mind not every tire is made in every size, and different sizes of the same tire can have differences in tread design and performance.

I’ve had several sets of Pirellis, liked them. Not the P7 all-season, though.

Thanks again to all! @shanonia: I checked Consumer Reports quickly but did not delve into the ratings as the tire size for my car is 185/55R15. Thanks for summarizing the results! @texases: What did you not like about the P7 all-seasons? Tirerack recommended them as the best all-season tire that would still perform decently in winter conditions, but that is just one opinion.

I was ready to order the P7 All Seasons from tirerack earlier this week and have them delivered to a tire center for installation. When I called back, they were out of stock. Was this was a blessing in disguise (would have been over $500 with shipping). Two friends have advised against ordering tires from tirerack and having a tire center install them; I’m not sure why. I would only be paying for the labor, so maybe that has something to do with it. If I only pay the tire center for installation, then if something goes wrong with the tires, would I be up a creek without a paddle?

Another tire center recommended the Hankook Optimo H418 as the best all-season tires for my size that would still handle decently in winter. I am a little confused about how to proceed.

Does anyone see a problem with ordering tires and having them shipped to a tire center for installation? If I ordered the P7’s through a tire center, it will take at least 7 business days as opposed to tirerack’s 3 business days. Anyhow, any advice would be much appreciated.

My current tires are actually OK except for the front driver’s side (Yokohama S34F Passenger All-Season), which has at least a small “smooth” patch. However, I could potentially spend countless hours trying to find the best tires, but the bottom line is that I should get this accomplished. If anyone thinks I am “overthinking” it, feel free to let me know; I am very open to any criticism!

Thank you all for your help!

I meant that I’ve never had a set of P7 all-seasons, so I don’t have first-hand experience with them.

Question: Am I over thinking this? Answer: Yes