Advice on buying a Used Car

15 year cars more likely than not will incur major expenses, which is a criteria of the poster to avoid them.

Keep in mind that there are good and honest dealers. Ask around. The better business bureau is NOT the best guage. Ask friends and relatives where they got good deals on good cars. All the BBB asks is that they arbitrate enough to make the customer happy, and their complaint is expunged.

I don’t think you’ll find a 10 year old Honda or Toyota in your price range. Hold out for that Buick.

I can just see Mom and Grandma getting in and out of the back seat of a Mustang or Camaro.

Hold out for that Buick.

I’d recommend you buy a Honda Accord. My grandparents have no trouble getting into one and they are great cars. It will show your clients you are a sensible person, and who doesn’t want to buy something from a sensible person? If you want a chick magnet, then you should go for a more upscale Acura or Lexus.

All good points

I completely agree with ok4450.

Someone earlier said something about trying to impress clients in a 2000-2500 vehicle. What kind of clients are they?

Without driving Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity…etc. You can hide either what you’re worth or car is worth to a certain extent.

ok4450 is right. The 3rd and 4th gen. Mustangs, Firebirds, and Camaros (the GM cars were really hard to type! wink-wink) You can get a pretty clean one and it might need some minor repairs, but the AFTERMARKET on these cars are HUGE!!! I’ve had a stock '92 Mustang GT with decent miles but a great body. I had to clean the interior, but it looked and sounded great (like all other Mustangs sporting FLOWMASTER 40 Series)

Those cars will tend to ride a little rougher and G’ma may complain about noise or riding.

Since everyone is breathing Buick why hasn’t anyone mentioned the '87 Grand National. It’ll ride like a Regal but get up like a Mustang. I personally like the GN’s very very much.

What about looking outside of california for a vehicle. I know cost of living is slightly more than the mid-west, but you’ll have better luck at finding better quality with the budget you’re trying to pull off.

One draw back to a Grand National is the high performance aspect of it might need a high performance wallet when certain parts break and it is a VERY good idea to learn how to drive with a Turbo to ensure proper care and longevity of car. A car like that may not be suitable for “So. Cal.” Sorry, I guess I’m leaning towards the LeSabre now. At least chicks will know you’re ready for committment. Committment to supper at 4pm and bedtime at 7pm.

Good luck High Roller

Forgot about Mom and Grandma. One or the other wouldn’t be a problem in a Mustang or Camaro but with no legroom in the back of either one, ferrying both would be a major problem.

Maybe that’s the reason for the notchbacks; lay the rear seat down and chunk Mama in the back. :wink:

Or maybe one of those 80s era Reliant K convertibles with the fake wood trim on the side. Plaster an AARP sticker on the back… :slight_smile:

Back to Buick though. Since many are elderly owned, not only are they gently driven but the total mileage is often held down due to limited driving.
Met an older man here year before last who is still driving the '71 Skylark he bought brand new in '70. As of '07 he’s accumulated the grand total of 31k miles on it and other than a few tiny rust flecks on the rear bumper the car still looked clean enough both inside and out that it could be placed on a showroom floor.

That’s why you have to be careful, even with 7 year old cars. Anything bought for $2500 is a candidate for serious problems.

Uh, his mom and grandma probably can’t get in and out of a two-door car.

A couple of years ago my wife needed a “new” car. She is a famous cheapskate. I asked her how much she wanted to spend. Her answer was $2000. I told her she was on her own unless she upped that significantly.

You say that you will drive often. Does that mean a lot of miles? A Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis can be a good, reliable buy, but if you drive it carefully, you may only get 20 mpg.

Yep, too many conditions, some of which are contradictory. I think the gas mileage is the one to go. I vote for Crown Victoria. I do not think he is going to get 4 years out of a $2500 car, with good gas mileage. Either pay more or get worse gas mileage.

By the way, how old are these grandparents? I probably missed it. My wife and I are 67, and we can get in and out of almost anything you young guys can. But, we live a good life, and are healthy. Are they all busted up, or 80 years old? Or, do you just assume old people are disabled because they are old?