Advice on buying a 17 year old boy first car

Sixteen grand seems a bit much for a first car and especially for someone who is not throwing something into the kitty.

What’s wrong with working a part time job, saving some money, and having a financial interest in whatever car is eventually purchased? Sometimes this can make the new driver appreciate the wheels a bit more as compared to someone who is thrown a set of keys and told to have at it.

@fodaddy
that’s a case of “more money than sense” if I ever seen one.

Wasn’t it VDC that had the story of him working with a teen’s parents to motivate the kid to get better grades to get him a car. The buy them a BMW, grades start slipping, wrecks the car, then he talks to them about the situation and the parents said they already ordered the kid another brand new BMW anyways.

My mom bought my first car, she spent all of $50 on it; it was as old as I was. I did learn to drive in it a little bit, but between my mom’s Tracer and my grandma’s Olds Calais, I learned more in those. At the time, I didn’t want to drive, so my mom sold the car for the same price she bought it for. When I got my first job outta high school, that motivated me to get my license so I could stop bumming rides all the time. I cashed in my savings bonds and bought my own car

also, gotta wonder if we’ve scared the OP off already with our prattling

The one unknown in all of this is what kind of person the young man is. I’m against the idea of parents shelling out big bucks on a first car without at least some involvement (both time and money) by the young person who will be receiving the car.

The point could be that if the young man gets good grades in school and handles his life in a responsible manner then an exception might be made. Hopefully there is no latent Jekyll and Hyle personality lurking which may surface after being handed a set of keys.

I also don’t have a problem with a small pickup and disagree that they’re dangerous because of being light in the back end. Driven properly, they’re fine.
It might be added that if the young man is going to be going off to college that a pickup can also come in pretty handy for ferrying dorm room junk back and forth from home to school.

I have mixed feelings about the question of who has to pay for the car. I, myself, bought my 1st car and restored it. Actually made money on it and moved on and essentially supported myself through college/school. I think it was a great learning & life experience.
But at the meantime, I did not NEED a car, I had a bicycle and also could use public transportation and get around.

The problem we are facing with my own 16 yr old is that she does not even want a car or a license for that matter. But between school, volunteer work, and after school stuff, we have to constantly drive her around. She is a hard worker and is up until 1 AM studying. So, if she had a car, it would free up some extra time for me and my wife to focus on our jobs. Looking at the 16 yr old’s schedule, I can not see where she would fit a few hours of work.

@bscar, your values concerning money are based on your experience. There are a lot of people that can afford to spend $16,000 or so for a car for their child. It’s their money, and they can decide how to spend it. My 20-yr old hydroplaned about a month ago in our 15 year old Regal. It wasn’t worth fixing, and I found a cherry $10,000 car for her. Mrs JT wanted to buy her a new car. Money is a little tight. We have 2 tuition payments in December, and monthly rents and other housing fees for the two for another semester. But she needs a car, and I had the money to make it happen. My girls say that they are spoiled, and maybe they are. But they think it’s in a good way, and I can’t wish for much more than appreciation like that. My two youngest call themselves the Cobalt Twins now, and are happy to do so. I’m just glad that I can be there for them in any way I can.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. We are leaning towards a 2008 Jeep Laredo, not Grand Cherokee, with a six cylinder. Probably under $11,000.

@Sailorrob, good luck with your search. Remember to have a prepurchase inspection before serious negotiations.

@Sailorrob I have always known Laredo as being a trim level on the Grand Cherokee, not as a separate model. Some other trim levels on the Grand Cherokee may include Sport, Limited, and Overland. Laredo is by far the most common trim level and will include power windows/locks/mirrors, but not leather, sunroof, heated/cooled seats, or other high end options. I suspected you may be located somewhere other than the United States, where they often sell vehicles not available to Americans, but a Google search for Jeep Laredo only turned up info on the Grand Cherokee Laredo. Are you sure this is not a Grand Cherokee Laredo you are looking at? If it’s not, I’m curious as to what it is since I couldn’t find any info on it.