Advantages of pricey cars?

Funny story. Teenage-me installed a home-brew gadget on my 62 Ford Galaxy to provide the intermittent wiper function. Useful for trips to ski resorts. An L-shaped sheet-metal panel screwed to the underside of the dash provided the controls. Worked good, but aesthetics not pretty! … I used the Galaxy in college, and one time I provided a ride to my professor to another building. He noticed this intermittent control panel and for some reason couldn’t stop talking about it. "how does it work? ", “how much did it cost?” etc etc. Worse, he decided it should also detect the amount of rain on the windshield, and use that to decide when to move the wipers, rather than a fixed time delay. He started a research project on this rain-detecting topic, and every time I saw him in the hall I’d have to stop listen to his research progress … lol …

You would be correct sir, I am not putting something in my body that somebody else put out to the curb/trash… You do know that more than one serial killer was a pillar of community… lol

Ok, good that you are consistent in your thinking :slight_smile: Me, I guess I’m more risk tolerant, got a bag of lemons from my neighbor the other day and have been enjoying a lot of fresh-squeezed lemonade.

1 Like

That could wind-up being very bloody.
20 paces, and then fire?
:rofl:

Back to my penny-pinching friend…
He asked me why his celery always has to be thrown away after a couple of days. The answer is that he always buys his produce from a guy who sells it for 99 cents, while the prevailing price might be 2 to 3 times that price.

Yes, buying semi-rotted produce is cheaper at the time of purchase, but it actually isn’t cheaper in the semi-long run.

I dunno. I used to stop by flower Rama and get a dozen roses for $10 or so. Yeah they never lasted long but they didnt have to. Then I retired and $50 is $50.

Opps, I guess it Dual Action… Good catch…

Speaking of “Duel”, did you ever see the film of that title? Excellent example of a driving - related movie. IIRC it is one of Steven Spielberg’s first efforts. Driving is all about thinking, and as such this film has little to no dialogue.

1 Like

Yes I remember it well and I still will never give any trucker driving a tanker any reason to be upset with me… The first time I watched it I was Spellbound… Years later, when I watched it in re-run, I was wishing the trucker would drove over me, I was so bored, perhaps because I knew exactly what would happen… I will not give away the ending for those who have not seen it. In spite of my misgivings about watching it again, I recommend it, especially if your car is named “Christine…” L o L . . . It was so good that you probably will not find it FREE, but only on a paid Streaming Service…

Duel (1971) Official Trailer…

The ending if you do not want to sit through all of it…

Well considering that technology has been on cars for over 25 years now I’d say that project has been completed. Perhaps your professor’s work finally paid off?

+1
My current car is the first one that I ever had with rain-sensing wipers, and I was a bit skeptical at first. However, it turned out that they do work very well.

Showing off. The illusion of buying prestige. Those cars usually required a lot of expensive maintenance.

There seem to be at least some non-illusionary merits in these pricey cars. For example someone here posted the Roll Royce provides a simple built-in method to lube the chassis. This should keep the RR in fine fettle longer. And some of these “fancy” cars are designed to minimize occurrences of the very common (by reports here) “fails to crank”. I’d pay more for that myself, b/c it is a clear safety advantage.

Back in 2003, we had Hurricane Isabel come through our area, Hampton Roads. A friend’s late model Lincoln got total when flooded and the wife saw an older Rolls Royce and it was in really nice shape, so with the insurance money, they bought it… What really surprised me was the back seat had foot rests that rose out of the floor. How neat is that?

Many moons ago my bil was in boot camp in Missouri. His buddy had a rolls. One night they spun an axle and the guy said no problem. Rolls sent a guy out to fix it. No charge. Service my man, service. I wouldn’t want a rolls but you won’t get that with a ford.

One luxury feature on some Bentleys that seems pretty useful, especially for us 80’s -early 90’s Corolla owners, the ignition key turns to “start” in two separate directions, CW or CCW. If you turn it the normal way (CW), and the engine doesn’t crank b/c the battery is kaput, then you can turn it CCW and use the spare battery to crank the engine.

That sounds pretty cool and all, however I don’t recall having enough battery problems with any vehicle to justify paying for such a feature (if such a feature were offered). And I am someone who tries to squeeze the last drop out of a battery, unless it’s visibly swollen or leaking.

Someone like you or me doesn’t have several cars. I imagine that a Bentley is not a daily driver for those that own them. Bill Gates daily driver is a Ford a focus, likely so that he can move around without attracting attention.

Anyway, someone with a Bentley and doesn’t drive the car often might find that one battery is dead while the other still has enough juice to start the car. He can use the Bentley after discovering the dead battery then deal with it when he gets home.

I hadn’t heard of that Bentley ‘feature’. Here’s more info:

" Bentley Continental GT, GTC & Flying Spur have two batteries fitted in the boot of the car. The left one is the main systems battery, whilst the right is the starter battery.

It is quite common for the battery to drain over time. If the key is nearby, the car will ready itself for starting which can accentuate the problem. We recommend keeping a battery charger connected when the car is not going to be used for a long period of time.

If you find the main systems battery has gone flat, turning the key anticlockwise in the ignition barrel will engage the starter battery as a backup, allowing you to start the car. It is recommended that the main systems battery is then charged/replaced as this function will drain the smaller starter battery very quickly."

1 Like

Early Corolla owners would be happy to pay for two batteries when replacement is needed, especially if the auxiliary battery was dead the first time it was needed.