Accuracy of MPH Display

@sgtrock21, the gas mileage computer resets when you reset your trip odometer. If you have two trip odometers and only reset one when you buy gas, the avg will continue for the one you didn’t reset.

I reset trip A every time I fill up. I reset trip B at each oil change or at the start of any road trips. I only compare the trip A readout to my paper and pencil calculations.

Bing, I kinda think we are on the same page. While I don’t adjust for the odometer error, I know what it is so I could. The main thing is that when I look at the MPG readout, I have a pretty good idea of what the actual is. Now if the readout is suddenly very low, I know that something is going on.

If the odometer and speedometer are right on when your car is new, they will become slightly optimistic as the tires wear.

Like some others here I only use the MPG, whether done by hand , or by the dash read out only for spotting up or down trends.

On my Insight, I have “Trip A” set to automatically reset to zero at every fill-up.

The MPG is next to useless . . as it recalculates with ever press or release of the accelerator.

However , if you were going to pick a display as your primary . . .the MTE, Miles To Empty, is more valuable especially if you don’t really know your gauge that well.

The MPG is next to useless . . as it recalculates with ever press or release of the accelerator.

The 2015 Town & Country has both instant and average MPG displays, scroll through the display menu.

Personally, I never use the miles to empty since I never let the tank get less than half full. I do look at the instantaneous figure from time to time just to see what effect hills and acceleration have on mileage. I guess I mostly look at the average MPG but really don’t pay that much attention to it most of the time. Going from city to highway, it can take a long time to reflect the higher mileage in an average so I’ll reset it just to see what I’m averaging on the highway.

"The MPG is next to useless . . as it recalculates with ever press or release of the accelerator."

Like Nevada, my car has both instant and average MPG readings.
If I keep it set on “instant”, then the reading does change constantly, but when I have it set on “average”, it changes only occasionally.
I find it hard to believe that Ken’s Fords don’t also have this option.

If I am getting down to 1/4 tank or less, then I will switch to “miles to empty”, but normally I keep it set for “average” MPG.

Well, guys, that useless info screen IS there but provides such un-necessary data that it’s never used.
And , now that it’s 20 something degrees in the mornings, the warm up really skews all the mpg data ( average and instant ) so much that I just watch the gauge and mte anyway.

I think what we are seeing is why there are so many options. Everyone has a different preference.
Mine just keep going though until I physically reset them. Nothing resets automatically. Not that I want more choices but it would be nice to know how many miles from the last oil change without looking it up in my maintenance book but then I just look at the oil monitor and when it gets to 50% know its time for a change. (Not to start that discussion again.)

keith: I have not touched A or B trip odometers since I stopped manually tracking MPG 5 years ago. I change oil by my calendar because I never reach 5,000 miles in 6 months. I’m guessing the MPG display might reset from the change in fuel gauge reading. I can’t think of anything else.

I’ll have to get out my owners manual to see if my car has that option. Right now I have to press the trip button manually to reset the avg MPG display.

Some of them reset when you turn the ignition off, as does mine. A Passat resets when the ignition has been off for about 1 hour or more.

“Some of them reset when you turn the ignition off, as does mine. A Passat resets when the ignition has been off for about 1 hour or more.”

Oh boy, that would drive me nuts. Things you don’t know until long after you’ve already bought the car.

Bing: which one? The Passat one is great, as you can get daily trip statistics even though you stop for a break or three. The other one is a Forester, and only one set resets with ignition off. The other two require a manual button push.

To clarify, having an automatic reset of the MPG, trip odometer, etc. would drive me nuts. I want to reset them myself when I want to. Sometimes I’ll use trip A for miles one way and leave trip B for the total round trip miles. I don’t want these being reset after the car sits overnight or for an hour or for a few days. What are they thinking?

They both had push-button resets that you can use. The automatic one you can ignore. I find the auto ones useful, as I tend to forget the manual ones.

Not to belabor it, but what’s to forget? You are either interested and push the button to see the current averages or let it be and see the historical average. Why would I want it to reset every time I go to the store or shut the car off? Just don’t understand the logic is all.

But when I start a trip, what with putting luggage into the car, etc, I tend to forget to reset the trip indicator…