About tire stretching.. is half an inch (0.5 in.) OK? 175/65R15 on a 15X6.5 wheel

And besides the OP’s desired wheels being too wide, they’re the wrong offset. Forget about them.

1 Like

That’s what tire stretching is. You put a too-narrow tire on the wheel. People think it looks cool:

… I am not one of those people, and it’s unsafe to boot.

4 Likes

There’s a few people around here running tires like that shown in the pic posted by shadowfax. They will probably still think it looks cool as their life ends…

1 Like

That’s not cool.

Now this is cool!

Tester

2 Likes

We haven’t had a lot of snow but when we do it’s kinda fun watching some of these cars try to get around. Then there is the Caddy with gold plated wheels and bicycle type tires. Some of these should just be put on a trailer and taken to shows but never driven. Just of course IMHO.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice folks.

I’ve decided to get 185/60R15 tires which will within the specs specified by the tire manufacturers. Also, why bother upgrading wheels if you’re not going to run slightly wider tires? :wink:

Back in the 60’s when we had VW bugs, kids thought it looked neat to turn the wheels around to give it a wide track. I never did but they discovered that put too much pressure on the wheel bearings and would burn them up. Price to pay for looking cool.

1 Like

Mostly for rolling resistance. It’s 15% better than a wider but more conventional sizing.

My first question about this thread was what did the vehicle manufacturer specify for tire size? Have we confirmed it’s a Honda Fit and 175/65R15 is the original tire size? If so, a 185/60R15 makes sense. My fear was that the load carrying capacity was being ignored in the quest for less weight!

@mareakin You have not answered the question ( are maerkin and Queue the same person ) . If mareakin has said what this vehicle is I missed it .

1 Like

I saw photos or a video a while back with that sort of wheel treatment, but there were narrow tires inboard to take the road load. Does the owner of that toyota switch back to real front and rear rims with appropriate alignment when not showing off? I hope so, or at least that this rice rocket is a trailer queen.

They’re the same person.

1 Like

The offset of the wheel you’ve chosen is 13mm more positive. The outer surface of the tire is pushed farther out than factory.

Your choice of wheels are going to make your car darty when hitting bumps and likely wander on the highway. This is because the centerline of the tire is too far out from the steering axis of the car. The centerline should be right on the centerline and now it will be outside that by 13mm. The tires may also rub the inner fender liners when turning tight, especially because you chose a wider tire.

Then should it not be best to have them pick one screen name and combine all the treads ?

2 Likes

Hmmm… interesting…
Most sites don’t allow people to post with more than one screen name.
Does Car Talk allow that type of behavior?

2 Likes

I don’t know who that is, I only have account.

Mustangman: concerning offset and a change in suspension geometry----I’m taking a guess that it should be fine… it’s a gamble to be sure. I’m aware that a change in the scrub radius will introduce a small degree of bump steer and perhaps other unwanted effects. I think the change is quite minimal though and should be fine.

I have seen people run some really aggressive BIG WIDE RIMS with low offsets—I have deliberately chosen to play it safer.

It’s a risk to be sure.

I don’t know the details, but one of the site’s moderators stated that you are posting under two screen names, so you can argue with her.

Two different things. Wide wheels with stock offset aren’t the issue, non-stock offset is the issue.

1 Like

@mareakin If the above was posted by you then you do have 2 screen names .

1/2" difference in offset and two screen names, I think things is getting blown out of proportion, nobody is going to die.

In this case, there are simply NO GOOD OPTIONS in aftermarket wheels with offset close to the stock +53mm

The choices are simply limited.