A Test

Vacuum tube tecnology, was actually fine, unless you did not mind waiting for the tubes to warm up. I think I still have a vtvm somewhere, vacuum tube volt meter, surpassed by the tvm, transistorized volt meter, surpassed by the dvm, digital volt meter, what could be next, a scvm, superconductor volt meter?

They were fine in their time, just as the stagecoach was fine in its time.
I remember when Radio Shack stores all had tube testers. And sold kits to make your own TVs. I was in electronics/avionics school at the time, and everyone was building their own TV. Heathkits, I believe. We used to call them griefkits. I remember getting out of the Air Force and fixing my own TV. Of course, that was in a prior century… literally.
God, I’m getting old!

I miss the Heathkit stores. I’ve built some kits, but I would no more have wanted to build that 25" color TV kit than perform an appendectomy on myself. Maybe if it hadn’t cost more than a better, already assembled TV with a warranty.

Vacuum tube tecnology, was actually fine, unless you did not mind waiting for the tubes to warm up

Great for Audio. I have a 5yo Tube amp system that is far better sounding then most SS amps today.

But NOT for computers. About 10 years ago someone figured out how large a tube computer would be to have the same function as a (then new) Pentium chip. Please note it would probably be 1 million times slower. They figured that the Twin Towers in NY wasn’t big enough.