A Ford Ranger or a Toyota Tacoma?

After reading all the responses, I have to return to the first.

I am not sure how much you are looking at spending, but SHE should buy her OWN vehicle, and insure it.

The lesson learned is: ‘It doesn’t matter what I drive (crash) Mom will just go out and buy another one for me.’

When she has to actually BUY her own car, and pay the insurance she WILL become more cautious, and protective of HER investment. One of the atypical teenage driving scenarios is the kid will ‘borrow’ the family car and next week Dad has to go put new tires on it. For some reason the rubber keeps getting burned off after the kid has taken the car. BUT, once the kid buys his own car, and has to maintain it, suddenly the kids tires last forever!!! nothing like learning from the pocketbook.

By the way, I DON’T agree with buying a pickup truck at all. They are terrible on highway panic stops, have a higher rollover rate and as noted have relatively poor crash test results.

I recommend whatever your daughter can afford. That is the litmus test you should be concerned with. What it is, is pretty irrelevant at this point.

We have Ranger, and there have been so many things wrong with it. Get the Toyota.

I won’t give you another scolding for your daughter’s driving.
The first accident sounds like it was just an accident, with her trying to dodge a deer in the road.
The second accident was her not paying enough attention, and was again, just an accident.

But, here’s the answer to your greatest concern:

How to make her a safer driver.

Here’s the link:

http://www.streetsurvival.org/

Sign her up, and get her going.

BC.

current owner of a 2wd Ranger, and a pervious owner of a 4wd Toyota.
The Ranger with 3.0L v6 is much more docile than the 4.0, and slighty more fuel efficient. Putting a topper/shell over the bed would also help to provide more weight over the rear, and god-fordid, more surface area in the case of rollover.