$93 oil change!

I personally prefer ramps for oil changes. I feel they’re much safer. And they’re definitely easier on the ol’ bod.

However jackstands… GOOD jackstands… are essential to do anything that’ll need to wheels removed.

I have an 87 Accord DX hatchback. Began to notice a burning oil smell. My repair shop (Berkeley Minicar, Berkeley, CA.) is really good and does only hondas. Said that there’s a seal at the base of the oil filter mount that can go bad. It’s not the metal compressible washer that gets replaced (well, theoretically) each time you replace the oil filter. Instead, it’s somewhere internal to that. Anyway they replaced that seal ($100 or $150 if I recall), and burning oil smell went away. FYI I’m on 2nd engine (replaced at 300k miles; I obtained a “stripped block”, low milage used engine, probably 50k miles on it, from Japan); since then I’ve put on another 108k miles, so current engine has probably 158k or so miles on it; car has a total of 408,000 miles and hopefully heading for 500k. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Oops, I misremembered, the compressible metal washer is on the oil pan drain plug, not on the oil filter; delete that part of my last comment. But the rest stands. On re reading all the comments, I think my problem is the same as that described by @asemaster (so maybe your problem is based on this too). Also, @PJ512, just FYI, your initial post said “my friend noticed some liquid on her driveway”; instead of oil, maybe that was just air conditioner condensation (essentially water)? And the oil smell was unrelated, and instead due to the seal that I and @asemaster mention. Apparently if that seal goes bad, you have a VERY slow drip-drip leak, onto a part of the engine or exhaust system which is very hot, thus the smell of burning oil, but without oil drips on the ground and without any noticeable change in oil level as measured by dipstick over time, since it’s SO slow. Maybe. If that’s the problem. Possibly. :slight_smile:

ah yes, support to my “do it yourself” mentality. As far as a “warped” filter, that was a good one. I know someone/shop who wanted to install a mud pump to a female customer. Now seriously, I’ve see filters without the holes drilled or partially drilled from pep boys (think it was their brand or a Purolator). My wife’s coworker went to a fast lube place and they didn’t screw the drain plug in enough. long story, she froze her engine. Was a year old. They bought her a new engine after she got a lawyer.

It’s possible I suppose the oil filter could be a little warped at the mating surface, more likely it would be the gasket that was warped. But that kind of thing could happen. A good shop would carefully check the new oil filter mating surface and catch that before it was installed. I’ve had a new oil filter come out of the box without the rubber gasket on it for example. I just took it back and got a new one. But a quick oil change shop might be in such a hurry they might not notice something like that. (I had a new filter that had two gaskets on it too one time.)

So what do to next? I’m with TSM, ask a local inde shop to clean the engine up enough so they can tell where the leak is occurring. There’s so much wind blowing under the engine that oil in this place or that doesn’t have much to do with where the leak is. After the engine is clean, then the shop can have you bring the car back in a couple of days and they can probably spot the leak.

Car repairs and maintenance can always go askew. There’s always a certain amount of riskwhenever anyone takes a wrench to your vehicle. About the only way I know to eliminate this kind of problem, or at least reduce the chance of it happening, is to do your oil changes yourself.

Yes, please take it to a reputable shop and have them look at your car. It’s hard telling what those knuckleheads did. While there, ask what they charge for an oil change. I’ll bet it’s about the same pice you paid at jiffy. For just a pocket full of change, would you want someone working on your car that’s been trained and probably worked at the shop for some years now or have a shop with a high employee turn around and employs when school lets out for summer?