68 Mustang Engine Options

@VOLVO_V70, @db4690, @UsedEconobox_2_UsedB, @Caddyman, @sgtrock21

Surprised on the activity of this old post. - So where do things stand with our little 68 6 cycl mustang. Well we have kept the 6 and have replaced all the suspension and steering parts on the car. It rides and drives so much better.

We are still looking for a T5 to put behind the 6, as well as thinking of upgrading the drum brakes in the front to a set of disk brakes - there is a conversion kit for the 4 lug - this is more to do with safety then anything else.

We have not rebuilt the engine as of yet as it is running well - we are gathering parts - such as a EFI to replace the points, looking for a 80 to 83 head - which has improved breathing - some headers - and upgrade the cam -

There has been no rush - as the my son enjoys driving the car - we have some interior work to be done -

And keeping an eye out for a V8 mustang -

@sgtrock21 - I had thought about looking for a 250 need to see if there are any adjustments that need to be made to the hood etc - I know for the 300 you either have to remove the hood or cut it to bet it to fit. I am not worried about mpg as this is just a weekend car.

Would have to do a bit more research about putting a stock 289 into the car - with a swap out of the tiny rear end as an alternative option as well

Thanks for the update! Have you checked out Clifford? They’ve been making performance parts for 6 engines for decades: http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Ford-200_c9.htm

I had a factory 4 speed on my 170, rare I bet. Known as the ‘Dagenham’ transmission (that’s the factory in England). Doubt you could find one, it wasn’t that sturdy, any way. Had to replace the synchros several times

Thanks for the link - I took a look - it provides some items - but still need to find a better head in order to allow for better breathing.

You might call Clifford, they’d be the first place I’d go for the kind of info you’re looking for. They may have a source for that head.

Ford also made a 250 straight 6 and a 300 straight 6. These may bolt right up to your current transmission. Still not going to break any land speed records but more cube inches = more power. I know that ford changed the bell housing pattern in the early 60’s from a 5 bolt to 6 bolt pattern. I know that the 300 straight 6 will bolt up to the 6 bolt pattern 289/302s but I dont know about the 250/200 six.

Another option is to turbo your little 200. It will require a engine build with forged internals but that is still cheaper and easier than swapping out everything else. You would also need a blow through carburetor to accommodate the turbo.

I don’t know if you plan to DIY this upgrade but if you do, it is not as expensive as you might think. You can get a engine and transmission for a few hundred. Rebuild kits are cheap. Several rear axles will bolt up that you can get at the junk yard for a couple hundred bucks. The good thing is that there are all the aftermarket kits that would make it a easy swap. When I swapped a 347 into my ford ranger, I had to fabricate all my engine, transmission, and rear axle mounts. I also had to cut out the existing frame cross members and make new ones. It was a very labor intensive swap.

1 Like

Good question on the 250. It is a stroked 200 and I think they had to increase the engine block deck height.