65 Valiant starting problems

yes the switch makes the starter engage, but the key must be in all the way to the right position.Both red wires from toggle switch go to starter.

So far no one has informed you of the correct starting procedure for Chrysler vehicles from the 60’s. Push the gas pedal 3/4 ths the way to the floor and release, then hit the starter without touching the gas pedal till it catches. They usually catch pretty quick if you follow this procedure. Don’t follow it and this engine tends to flood.

I would also recommend that you get rid of the toggle switch and if necessary, replace the ignition switch. Most of these shade tree engineered solutions cause more problems than they solve.

BTW, the chokes were not problematic on these, just sensitive as to how they were used.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It CRANKS but is difficult to start. First, get the wiring/switch repaired. Then find an older mechanic who is familiar with carburators, preferably Chrysler Corporation vehicles, and get the choke system inspected/repaired and get his advice on proper starting techniques with regard to the weather and the circumstances involved when starting, i.e., cold weather recently driven, cold weather first start in the a.m., hot weather, etc., ad nauseum.

Not to make too much light of a difficult situation, but when I saw the title “65 Valiant starting problems” I expected that this was a humorous entry. I thought I’d see things such as…

Problem 17: ignition slot rusted out, unable to insert key.
and
Problem 41: car too ugly, unable to bring myself to approach in the daylight
and so on.

I’d guess that this is not so funny to you, so just ignore me.

I had one of these 30+ yrs ago. It would crank and almost catch and if the battery was strong enough I could eventually get it to start. I figured out that the engine was so warn out that the compression was too low. It started better if I parked it in the sun and then all of the cranking warmed the engine up sooner and the engine would eventally catch and it would run. This worked as long as the battery held out long enough to get the engine warm by constant cranking. Once it was running and got hot it would start OK until the engine cooled down again. Then I had to start the process all over again. Good Luck.

OK…Sounds like the toggle switch is being used to engage the starter motor because the “start” position on the key switch no longer works.

Step One. Have the ignition switch replaced. If you can’t find an exact replacement, (check NAPA) use a universal ignition key switch. They are about $15-$20. Then you can remove the toggle switch. Have the mechanic who replaces the switch check to be sure the “ignition resistor bypass circuit” is properly wired and working. Then clean up the distributor and carburettor and it will start like a champ…