2L /4 turbo engine vs. NA/ Naturally Aspired V6 engine?

No one has mentioned it yet, but that turbo 4 might recommend/require premium fuel and/or full synthetic oil for proper care and maintenance whereas the V6 might take regular- depending on the vehicle. Where I live, the cost difference between 87 and 93 octane is now up to 60 cents difference(30 cents between 87 and 89 and 30 MORE cents between 89 and 93).

It might, but most mainstream/non-luxury brands that offers turbo 4’s these days run on regular without issue. One of the benefits of direct injection (which most of the newer turbo 4’s have) is that fuel being directly injected into the cylinders has a cooling effect that reduces the need for higher octane fuel.

My daily driver requires 91 octane or better ( it’s tuned) so I have a set of gas stations that I know only marks up premium fuel 40 cents over regular, and use them pretty much exclusively. Other stations that have 60 cent to 90 cent delta between regular and premium do not get my business.

… about 6Months and beyond, the “Authorized Brandname Dealers” ask for about $600 more for a turbo.

( After a 180* / the charge $600 know more for a NA V6 )

“Carbon build - up” also can be an issue,
Real fuel savings – the debate never ends: ,

,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb1VIp1XR08

Spark plugs last less then by NA engine.
Oil-changes are more frequently required…

( A general licenced mechanic only with NA engine training probable will not do)

(Turbo engines require a trained Mechanic to perform proper Turbo engine maintenance work-- do to complexity of the turbo system)

If in doubt; “follow the money”

1 Like

Turbos still fail, although they are supposed to be more reliable than they were in years past. I’m not anti turbo, in fact, I think the idea of having all that torque is very appealing. However, I’m a “late adopter” and would like to see these engines get some miles on them (200k) to see if they’re as reliable as their naturally aspirated alternatives. I hope they are, but time will tell. This would be a hard decision for me if I was buying a new car today that had the option of turbo vs non turbo on the same model.

Not a “thing” in the US market. Any mechanic can work on any car. Most mechanics have seen turbo cars throughout their careers as there were a ton of them in the middle 80’s and later. Faded a bit through the 90’s, unless you were driving a Saab, and have steadily returned into the 2000’s.

The debate is long over. EPA ratings are higher with turbo 4’s vs NA V6’s of the same HP. If you have any doubts, do your own research. Same for real-world economy. I personally have owned 3 turbo 4’s and all 3 met or beat the EPA economy figures.

Yep even though there is no benefit to most, it’s about all that will be offered due to the federal mandates. Welcome to 1984. Tail wagging dog once more, and check out what replacing a turbo costs and compare that to any minimal gas savings.