24 and broke, but need a car with 4WD

Sounds to me like you need better tires, and you need to shovel your driveway. Until a melt started yesterday, we had 5+ feet of snow on the ground here, and I got through winter just fine with good tires on a FWD car.

When I was a kid, a friend of mine had a shortish drive way that was at almost a 45 degree angle. To solve the problem of getting the car into the drive way, his father, a brilliant man if there ever was one, installed a winch and tow cables in the back of the garage. When coming home in slick conditions, he would jump out of the car, hook up the winch and pull the car up the drive way and into the garage. Maybe not the optimal solution for you, but one worth considering!

I am amazed by someone who own a 2009 anything and can’t be bothered by getting a starting problem fixed.
I have lived in western new york all my life and never owned 4 or all wheel drive.
You need to learn how to drive and maintain a car, how to clear a driveway, and snow tires.
You didn’t want our advice, you want justification for buying the Jeep, so have fun with your new Liberty.

We don’t know how long the driveway is. To buy a car to just cope with a very short distance without exhausting cheaper alternatices, is tough to understand. It would be good to know if we are talking about 20 feet or 200 yards.

If it’s 200 yards, then a snowblower or a lawn tractor with a plow is still cheaper than getting a decent 4wd vehicle.

Plus, I doubt a broke 24 year old lives on an estate with a 200 yard driveway :wink:

Snowblower or lawn tractor ? 24 and broke.
@‌ShadowFox
The problem as we have seen on our road where there is a cheap trailer rental several hundred yards up a driveway is, that people who rent places well off the road on elevations, can’t or aren’t willing to spend the money to keep the road clear. Why else would they be renting something cheap ? But, every year a new rental moves in with a two wheel drive thinking I guess, the drive will clear itself. Why they built it so far off the road I will never know.

Everyone who does in this area, eventually gets their own plow truck or hires it out. In my experience, 200 yards On a hill is too far and too difficult to use a garden tractor or snow blower unless you are retired and have nothing else to do and time on your hands. If there is any ice or it’s wet snow on a steep hill, lawn tractors are utterly useless and blowers only a little better. I don’t see 24 and broke doing either.

The OP also states their car has a starting issue which is not defined and they also state they do not want to figure out what it is nor do they have any intention of paying to fix it.

They also state that “I just want to get a new car…”. That statement does not belong with being 24 and broke.

I want a new Porsche 911 but that ain’t gonna happen either. :frowning:

A 2009 Elantra is a pretty nice car. Most of the time a lot nicer than the fairly crude Liberty. If you aren’t sure about winter tires, find someone with a fwd car and good winter tires and drive it up your driveway. Bet it will go right up unless you’ve left a foot of snow on it. An awd vehicle is not the answer for that.