$2200 to replace a single Lexus headlight?

I’ll throw a wild guess about the steering wheel at a shade over 2800 dollars.

“2005 Lexus LS430 steering wheel $2332.80”

Just think how much the replacement part would be if the US government used Lexuses (Lexi?) and it had a government part number…

“Just think how much the replacement part would be if the US government used Lexuses (Lexi?) and it had a government part number…” (above post)

Just remember you had the ability to pick the people making those decisions, and you still do!

“Just think how much the replacement part would be if the US government used Lexuses (Lexi?) and it had a government part number…”

That’s largely a thing of the past. For items up to a certain dollar value, they can just use their government-issued credit card. If Sarge needs a hammer, he just goes to the hardware store and buys it. Higher cost items still need a purchase order. For repetitive purchases, like computers, they have a contract with one company for a couple of years.

Everyone owning an old Lexus should search the internet for re-manufactured or secondary parts. There are many websites selling just about any part you need. I just changed both my headlight assembly’s for $350 parts + $ 100 labor. The Lexus dealer quoted me $1400 for just the parts for the right head light. I caught a rock which cracked the exterior shell which in turn allowed moisture to blow any bulbs that I replaced

Wet headlight? Road damage? Comp or collision ins? How about hitting with with a big rock?

I miss the days of $3 sealed beam lamps.

This is why fleet trucks can still be ordered with old fashioned sealed beam head lights. FedEx and the like won’t buy a vehicle with an outrageous wear and tear part replacement cost.

Yeah, the sealed beam headlight units remain very inexpensive. I purchased one for my 70’s Ford truck for less than $5 last year. & about the same time I purchased a headlight bulb – just the bulb, not the entire shell ass’y-- for my early 90’s Toyota Corolla. From one of the big chain auto parts stores. No need to order and wait for delivery from the warehouse, they had a dozen of them sitting there on the bulb rack. Retail price? $9.50.

Before that, the prior time I needed to replace the Corolla headlight bulb, quite a few years ago, I bought the bulb at Target for less than $5. Target doesn’t seem to carry headlight bulbs any more.

I guess I just don’t understand progress. I remember when my Dad converted his 1939 Chevrolet to sealed beam headlights. Sealed beam headlights weren’t adopted by the industry until 1940. Before that time, there was a separate bulb and reflector. Now today, we are back to the bulb and reflector. I had an aunt that was relatively well-to-do. She bought an automatic washing machine before World War II. It was the only make available–a front loading Bendix. As the automatic washing machine developed, the top loader became the norm. Back in the early 1960s when I was a graduate student, I used a coin laundry that had both front loaders and top loaders. One time when I was at the laundry, all the top loaders were in use, so I tried the front loading automatic. My clothes came out all twisted, and I never used a front loading machine again. Now, the front loaders are back.
Maybe the new style bulb headlights and the new front loading automatic washing machines are improved over the old days, but I still preferred the sealed beam headlight and I’ll keep our top loading automatic washing machine.

You can have your sealed bean headlights, with the reduced light output they have.

My new front loader washer uses about a third as much water as my old top loader did. Plus, it doesn’t “beat” the clothes to death. The difference in the water bill was amazing.

My sealed beam halogen headlights light up the road just fine for me, granted I replace them every 5 years or so because they dim a bit as they are used. $2200 is an awful lot of bulbs.