2020 Ford Explorer XLT low mileage but Used Salvage Title

Thanks!

Does that year have the internal water pump? That is something that people need to stay away from. With it being rear wheel drive it could be replaced without removing the engine. With the modern Fords some of the modules are paired with the VIN, making repair more difficult.

The frame might be bent a little bit and the hood latch won’t line up. I wonder if they replaced the bumper? Somebody might have driven it with a busted radiator and damaged the engine too.

It really doesn’t look that bad, but you would have to go there and verify that the engine is good and the frame is good before buying it.

Is there something I am missing? I don’t see why it would take so long to fix. All the parts are available at a junk yard.

They usually total cars if the airbags deployed. In this case the airbag light is on because the sensors are ripped off.

1 Like

They total vehicle based on the repair cost to the value of the vehicle (somewhere around 75-80%, I would have to ask my SIL again) not if the air bag deploys or not, The added cost of multiple air bags can/does drive the cost up enough to total a vehicle out though… lol

When my daughter was rear ended no air bags deployed, but it damaged the rear section as well as the inner and outer quarter panel, it pushed the right rear and quarter in and down… So due to the cost of having to completely cutting the whole inner quarter out due to the damage as well as the rear of the car it would have shot the cost of repairs over the value of the vehicle, so it was totaled… And for a 12 yo car with over a 180K miles on it, they gave me a great amount for it… lol

1 Like

It’s nice when a car fits your needs. None bought suvs years ago.

1 Like

From the picture it looks like the radiator is not damaged. But I’m not sure because the picture of it is not very clear.
If it is only the exterior accessories that are damaged, I estimate that the cost of purchasing accessories is about 5k dollars.
Guys are advising me to stay away from this car though, so I’m giving up for now.

I was thinking more like $100 on all you can carry day at the junk yard.

I don’t see the wiring harness connectors for the front lamps and sensors. They might be tucked away but often parts of the harness get severed off in collisions.
How long should it take for a novice to learn how to repair a crashed vehicle?

Do the auto salvage yards in your area offer that deal on late model SUVs? The latest model year Explorer at pick-a-part in my area is 2008, 12 years too old and no special sales events.

Headlamps on Rock Auto are $1,100. each. If you think you can get all these parts for $100, jump on the deal.

1 Like

You’re right. I think they hold back the vehicles that are quite new. He would have to buy another one that is totaled from a non frontal crash for parts!