2019 Chevrolet Cruze - Buying a leftover

Back to the original post. I did a little online shopping, but for a popular car. Used 2019 with with a third or more of the powertrain warranty gone, was $3000 less than new leftover 2019s. Looked at two dealerships, four new and four used. So the great unknown is how the used vehicle were treated.

Yup, last year for the finned Hawks, 4speed, 289, bucket seats available. Of course the 57-58 Goldens were great with lots of power for their time, prefer the body stiffness of the coupes. Though I would truly love a 58 P-Hawk.

3 Likes

Nice! I can see that! Good for you for having a “Dream Machine”. Several guys and gals here have Mercedes Benz 2-door coupes, some hard-top convertibles, super low miles, no door dings, etcetera. These are Florida cars and came with all service records from a local MB dealer, used, at extremely attractive prices.

My wife is good with it (How great is that!), my next used car toy could be one of those. A neighbor, a few condos down, has one, it says “Kompressor” on a badge. 22,000 actual miles on that puppy, 2002 hard-top convertible, and looks like lots of fun. He uses it just to go to the beach! Feel the magic!

Good for you! Live your dream!
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Here in the St. Louis area a 2019 Cruze runs in the upper teens. Whether that represents a “good deal” is up to the OP.

My guess is that the O.P. is a drive-by poster or just imaginary. I’d bet we never hear from her/him/them again.

We’ve got ourselves a 24 post discussion (and growing) based on not enough information with which to do anything. I’m afraid Elvis has left the building, if Elvis was ever in the building to begin with.

I feel so cheap and used! :anguished:
Oh, the hunanity! :grimacing:
CSA

Late in 1988, we were shopping for a car. The Pontiac dealer had a left over 1987 Pontiac 6000. We test drove the car and then started the negotiations. At this point in time, some of the 1989 models were beginning to appear. I had warned my wife not to say anything when we were in the sales person’ s booth. I told the saleswoman that I was going to buy the car that week and if she had the best price, we would be back within two days to buy the car. I told her our time was limited, so I wasn’t there to haggle. She went to see the sales manager. She came back and said that they would take $100 off the sticker price. I told her that the car was now two years old and that was not an acceptable price. I also let her know that I had s better price on a 1988 Taurus and thanked her for her time. She then said, “,Well, that isn’t our best price”. I told her she had her chance and she blew it. I went back down the street and bought the Taurus.
One problem I see buying a left over car is if it gets wrecked. If you have an accident with a 1999 car that you just bought, and you only have 500 miles on the odometer, you will only get compensated for a used 1999 car by the insurance company. Be sure you are paying little more than book price for a used 1999 car.

We’ve got a discussion that’s a whole day old. The OP may well be following the discussion. It’s not like he can add much short of telling us the price of the vehicle and he may consider that nobody’s business. Feel free to drop out if you wish.

1 Like

Great , another self appointed moderator.

2 Likes

I don’t need permission to drop out, but thanks! I’m just about there, although I could probably offer the most valuable information of all.

Quite a few posts up I called for more information in order to garner any meaningful information.

Your post helps illustrate that need. All this talk is meaningless, I repeat, meaningless, without some specifics given by JoeJ. That includes my contributions, your contributions, everybody’s contributions.

I just thought I’d try and inspire JoeJ to get in the game! Otherwise he’s just yanking your chain.

Than you in advance for your attention and prompt action on this matter. Catch you in the next cartoon!

CSA

Just as a side note looking at 2017 used cars, next comparable had 12k more miles, but 2k less, probably a salesman pitch, but he was like with your miles that is like an extra year of driving. Seemed rational but we keep our cars a long time, and when I am ready to sell, hopefully 10 years from now, 1 year and an extra 10k miles are not really significant factors.

Nothing of the kind, just mentioning the obvious. Any time you, I, or CSA don’t like the way a thread is going we have the option of turning to more satisfying pursuits. We have the necessary data: A “leftover” 2019 Chevrolet Cruze. Buy or not? Answer or don’t. None of us is entitled to information that’s none of our business.

Oh, dear! The OP didn’t respond according to my timetable! If the OP believes the Cruze is a “good deal,” whatever that might mean in his case, that’s all that matters. It would be nice to know his decision but if not we had a rousing discussion.

If you succeed, I want another 1995 Caravan, basic model with the 3.0L engine and 3-speed automatic. I am willing to pay the $16k that they cost new.

You talking about an SLK230 . . . ?!

tiny little roadster . . . ?

Trust me on this . . . I was working at the Benz dealer when those cars were new . . . that was one of their low quality cars

We do not have the necessary data. It was not given.
Without more information any answer except one that means “It all depends
” (depends on the information we are missing) is useless.

Or get more information and then answer, which very often happens in a discussion (an exchange of information). This is a discussion forum.

I totally agree, but let the contributor decide which information is off limits. Did you notice I stated

I’m not on any timetable, trust me. I have infinite patience. It’s the O.P. that’s on a schedule. She/he/ them is looking to buy a certain car that is in stock. I’m just trying to be helpful and I know what I’m doing. Thanks for reading! I hoped that helped! It’s just common sense.
CSA

I was with you all the way on the Hawks although I would include any of the V8 two doors from 53 forward except the Larks. I like the Larks, but they are not in the same class.

The Packard Hawk however is a car I always thought was ugly. Rare yes, but still ugly.

I had a great appreciation for Studebakers and would still be buying them today if they were in business.

I liked all Hudsons except the ones that were made by Nash, and I liked all Packards except those made by Studebaker.

We know the OP is looking at a “leftover” 2019 Chevrolet Cruze with a new vehicle warranty (3 yr./36k bumper-to-bumper, 5 yr./60k powertrain) vs the used version of the same car with only the balance (if any) of the powertrain warranty (AFAIK it’s transferrable). We also know the “leftover” car has been sitting for a good while so it will need an oil change and probably the first scheduled maintenance moved up a year. Which should he buy? Is the leftover a really good deal? He could compare prices and see. A quick check of Autotrader.com shows that here in the St. Louis area a “new” 2019 Cruze is $18-22k, while the same car used is $14k-17,500. The only question for us is whether it makes sense to buy last year’s model at the right price and for that we have all the information we need. For my part, if the price were right and I could get the oil changed soon (since it’s been sitting a while) and preferably as a condition of the sale, I’d buy the “leftover” in a heartbeat. You might not. That’s the discussion. As for the OP not returning, he could have come back, seen what passes for “discussion” here and decided to leave. I wouldn’t be surprised.

2 Likes

Many if not all of the “new” 2019 Chevy Cruze’s that show up on cargurus are really former service rental fleet cars. Not unusual to see 2,000 or more miles on them.

+1

I find myself that discussions here tend to sway off topic way too much lately, and result shows with dwindling auditorium
 only accelerating the process

The auditorium shrank?
Unfortunately, that smaller auditorium will not be able to hold as big an audience.
:smirk:

2 Likes

Anything with more than 400 miles is a used car according to Chevrolet.