2018 Ford F-150 - How far?

Mechanical watch? Sounds like it just needs a CLA (clean, lube, adjust) by a watch repair tech.
They can be found on the internets.

BTW, 40 vs 40.7 miles could partly be caused by lane changes and wandering in the lane.

Just get a smart watch. I have an apple watch. It gets updated periodically from server which gets it’s time from one of the Atomic Clocks. Most computers these days get their time adjusted periodically from the servers. If you have some type of digital time piece that’s connected to the net - it’s as acurate as you can get.

1 Like

Yes, thanks, maybe I’ll drop it off today. We have a watch place in town that hasn’t updated their signage in 70 or so years, and the place is full of old guys, so you gotta figure it’s good. It’s a Longines from 1945, purchased in Switzerland.

Good thinking about the lane changes: Next, the OP should swerve wildly the entire drive and see what the difference is.

Yeah, I have a feeling this watch isn’t connected to the net, being 75 years old. Thanks but no thanks on being more connected. I like 'em smaller and thin/ don’t need emails on my wrist.

You’re assuming the satellite is correct. Could be calibrated off my grandfather’s watch.

1 Like

Most satellite’s will get their time from one of the atomic clocks. So it’s probably extremely accurate.

That’s unfortunate. My wife has a clock radio that allegedly never needs to be set, according to Sony. It’s always a couple of minutes fast compared to my watch or phone. My PC is synchronized with an internet server and I periodically compare my watch to the BBC’s hourly chime since it gains a few seconds a month. Due to poor design I can only set the clock in my Corolla within 30 seconds but it’s adequate to let me know if I’m late for work.

A clock radio that’s plugged in all the time can be very accurate due to the 60hz frequency. Medical devices depend on that 60hz frequency to be very accurate so the power companies usually do a good job doing so. Then it’s just a matter of precise gearing to create an accurate clock.

Not disputing whether a clock synchronized to the 60Hz AC frequency can keep time, just wondering why it’s consistently 2 or 3 minutes fast.

I don’t assume that, I know it’s true. Satellites use extremely accurate time for guidance, navigation, and control. Between 2002 to 2015, the difference between UTC and GPS time was less than 10 nanoseconds. It is currently less than 2 nanoseconds.