2017 Outback Engine Rattling Noise Upon Start

I sympathize with you, but even after all the messages here, I still have no idea what you mean by “rattle”. I assume it’s some sort of noise, but since no one here has heard it, it would be hard for anyone here to make a judgement as whether or not other Outbacks make the same “rattle” sound. What rattles to you might be humming like a kitten to me.

If that was my car and encountered the same responses from the dealer, I would have asked already to have them start another one on their lot or gone to another dealer to ask them. If that is not an option, I would not hesitate to flag down another Outback owner I see on the streets. Isn’t that your best means to compare and confirm the noise?

“If that is not an option”

OP paid good money for that car, just a short while ago, and it’s still covered under new car warranty

I would not accept that BS, if the service manager told me starting up another identical car to listen is not an option

I still believe the service manager sounds like an incompetent buffoon

I agree with you, however the OP has more pull when writing a letter and has confirmation that there truly is a problem. Also would help addressing the possible incompetence and lack of customer service of the managers he already talked to.

1 Like

I’m not buying the rattle as being normal either and to add to db4690s comment; most service managers are incompetent buffoons.

Have the guy pulls some keys out of the key closet and make him prove his point by showing you that several more cars also rattle when started… :wink:

1 Like

Subtle engine sounds can be difficult to hear in an open parking lot.

I have a Dodge,that has been doing this for 96k miles and its still holding together ,they tell me its due to cold piston slap(,hope one of the big two absorbs mopar before long.)However there is a difference in oil filters ,if you dont believe me,heft an aftermarket filter vs what Honda and Subaru stocks in their parts dept (I like to buy them when they are running a special )I have known of dealer serviced Hondas clocking 500k without major problems when the stuff Honda calls for is used.So try the oil filter first .

It’s my understanding that Honda oil filters are made by Filtech and Honeywell (FRAM) in the blue can.

I disagree that one should use exclusively Honda oil filters. As long as oil is changed at regular intervals any quality filter will work.

Had a Honda Accord some years ago and it was totaled in an accident with 456K miles on it. Never any problems and only performed routine maintenance with non-Honda parts.

As far as oil filter go, as I previously mentioned, I had an auto parts business for many years (mainly foreign but we did get into American a little bit), We sold very inexpensive and very expensive brands and the only issue we ever had was when mechanics did not tighten down a filter, and it leaked.

FYI, my Legacy sometimes sits for two or three days between start ups. I live out in the country where it is pretty quiet. No rattle.

If the oil is draining off, it is because of a defective anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.

1 Like

Yup!
Neither my current Outback, nor my previous one–both of which have/had timing chains–ever exhibited this problem, but both of them use/used 5w/30 oil.
I guess it is possible that the newer extremely “thin” oil could contribute to this problem.

I went back to the dealer. The salesman started up three Outbacks, and all made the same rattle noise that mine makes. He said that the last person who had commented on the noise was a person from their Porsche dealership a year and a half ago. I’m satisfied but will continue to keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks for all the advice.

1 Like

Never said you had to use OEM ,I just said there is a noticable
differnce between the $4 dollar Fram and the OEM Filter,somebody has
ts to make the things and specs are different per vendor .

[kurtwm2010] kurtwm2010 http://community.cartalk.com/users/kurtwm2010
August 6

It’s my understanding that Honda oil filters are made by Filtech and
Honeywell (FRAM) in the blue can.

I disagree that one should use exclusively Honda oil filters. As long
as oil is changed at regular intervals any quality filter will work.

Had a Honda Accord some years ago and it was totaled in an accident
with 456K miles on it. Never any problems and only performed routine
maintenance with non-Honda parts.

Visit Topic
http://community.cartalk.com/t/2017-outback-engine-rattling-noise-upon-start/94172/27
or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

[kmccune] kmccune http://community.cartalk.com/users/kmccune
August 6

I have a Dodge,that has been doing this for 96k miles and its still
holding together ,they tell me its due to cold piston slap(,hope one
of the big two absorbs mopar before long.)However there is a
difference in oil filters ,if you dont believe me,heft an aftermarket
filter vs what Honda and Suba…

Visit Topic
http://community.cartalk.com/t/2017-outback-engine-rattling-noise-upon-start/94172/27
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://community.cartalk.com/email/unsubscribe/7c3ecab5129e1fa06e185a299f833d85ce742ad1f4541c245d6017bfef001d98.

Glad to hear that you got somebody to start some new Outbacks, so that you could listen to them at cold startup

1 Like

I have had almost the same exact experience. Did they tell you what is making that noise? They told me it was normal too, but I found it hard to believe. They said thats what the CVT engines do when the pistons first get moving on a cold start after the car sits overnight.
Thanks

If someone actually said CVT engine, you can immeditely discount any advice from them as they know absolutely nothing about cars or vehices at all.

CVT is the transmission, it has no pistons in it. A lot of modern vehicles are using CVT transmissions and they do not make this noise.

What is different and kind of rare in the Subaru engine is that it is an (HO) horizontally opposed (AKA flat) engine. The pistons lay on their sides and move sideways instead of up and down or a slight slant as in most engines. HO engines were more common in aircraft than automobiles until VW/Porsche began using them. Porsche still uses them.

In addition to the valid statements made by keith, I can add that Horizontally-Opposed engines are not any more prone to engine noise when cold than other engine configurations.
I can say that with assurance after having owned a '97 Outback (4 cylinder), an '02 Outback (6 cylinder), and–currently–a '11 Outback (6 cylinder).

That being said, the engine in the OP’s vehicle is of a relatively new design, and it may have certain noise characteristics that are not displayed by older Subaru engine designs.

I’m not sure if I previously mentioned the following, but I did send Subaru a letter concerning this issue. The reply simply told me to take my car in which I did not do as I believe that they (Outbacks with the 2.5 engine) all make this noise. I have not obtained a verified explanation as to what is making the noise, Possible explanations are insufficient lubrication upon start up due to the low viscosity of the oil (0-20 full synthetic), the timing chain(s) have slack or/and are not sufficiently lubricated upon start up (which I believe is the case), or engines bearings are dry or partially dry upon start up. I’m not (too) worried about it as I do have a new car warranty, and hopefully, if there is an inherent problem, enough cars will blow up so that Subaru will announce what the issue is. I do believe that Subaru is aware of the issue, but for whatever reason, will not give an explanation except to say that the rattling noise upon start is normal.

Take the car in and have it documented now. The longer you wait you increase the possibility of claim denial.

1 Like

Just because they all do it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re all fine either. It could be that in a few years a Technical Service Bulletin may suddenly appear and which may be of little or no comfort to the Subaru owners who are out of warranty.

That’s how many TSBs and even Recalls come to life.

2 Likes

I have a 15 forester with basic engine which I bought new. I think that is the same engine you have, and uses 0-20 oil.

I have never heard this rattling sound on startup, even after sitting for weeks.

b