2016 Subaru Outback excessive oil burn

That’s good to hear, having to add a 1/2 qt between changes isn’t too bad. It takes a few hours for all the oil to drain down in my car too.

Ed

Thank you all

So, mister superior genius, could you enlighten us as to the credentials that qualify you to call the rest of us “crackpots”? I’d really like to know.

To the OP, it does not appear that you’re currently using excess oil, but if you continue to only check the oil after the warning light comes on you soon will be. That light is telling you that you’ve lost oil pressure. Your engine’s sleeve bearings on which ride your crankshaft, your pistons’ connecting rods, and your camshaft, all rely on having a pressurized fluid barrier of oil to protect them from their corresponding surfaces. If that’s lost, damage happens quickly. In addition, the less oil you have is the less that’s there to wash heat from the cylinder walls and to suspend contaminants including blowby (combustion gasses and unburned gasoline that blow by the rings).

I strongly, strongly urge you to monitor your oil level routinely and not wait for the warning light.

Postscript: I HATE this software. It absolutely will not allow me to double space between paragraphs or to place a line of dots (periods) where I want for emphasis. It does with what I type whatever it wants. I place the spaces or dots, they show up in the preview block, and when the software posts the comment it changes them.

The low oil level warning light does not indicate low oil pressure, there is no risk of damage by operating the engine while the oil level is at the “add” line on the dipstick.

Maybe yes, maybe no.
As of… I think… 2010, Outbacks have both a low oil pressure warning light and a low oil level warning light. The OP did not inform us about which “oil warning light” has shown up on his dashboard.

That being said, the low oil level warning light on my Outback has never turned on, but that is probably because I never allow the oil level to fall more than 1/4 qt below the “full” mark. My Outback never needs more than 1/4 qt of additional oil between its 4k mile oil changes, so I don’t actually know how far the oil level has to fall before the low oil level light turns on. It definitely doesn’t turn-on when the level has dropped by 1/4 qt, but it might turn-on when the level drops by 1/2 qt.

Like others, I strongly suggest that the OP check his/her oil MUCH more often.

One quart in 7,000 miles? That doesn’t seem like excessive oil consumption to me. There’s a customer interest bulletin in effect (both F4 and F6 engines) for the oil pressure switch, if that’s of any help.

FYI, your engine takes 5 qts of oil for an oil change with new filter, not 4.5.

Point well made and explained. It’s good to know Subie has this system.

As I said in my post, it doesn’t sound to me like the OP has excessive oil use based on what he wrote, but I do think it’s wise for him to begin checking his oil level on a regular basis rather than waiting for a warning light. Should the oil be allowed to drop too low, the results could be disastrous. And less volume means less protection for the long term, even if the pressure is never lost.

Why anyone would assume it’s OK that a car about two years old and still under warranty could consume enough oil to illuminate any type of warning light -TWICE - is beyond me. This is a known defect common to about 2% of these Subaru engines. Good luck TedWu. Hope I’m wrong.

No dealer is going to call 1 qt/3000 (or is it 7000?) miles excessive. Don’t you agree?

I keep reading these “Subaru excessive oil burn” threads and I keep getting irritated by Subaru :frowning:

I used to own 5 Subarus in the past, 2 of them brand new, 3 used ones ranged between 40K and 120K when I was buying them. All of them burned oil to some extent, between 1/2 to 2 quarts on 5000 miles OCI I observed.

Last 2 were purchased new and I’ve also got some attention from the dealer, pretty much brushing me off with “well, you are doing great, it is way below the acceptable limit” thing.

It happened now I have multiple Nissans and one Mazda in my family, some purchased new, some with a good deal of mileage and now having 75K to 160K miles on odometers, almost zero oil burn on all of them: when I’m getting oil level checks just before the change, I never get less than half-mark below full.

So, I figure if one gets stuck with Subaru on hands, the only solution is to relax and to monitor the oil level closely, then at some point to consider if for the next car you really want to go through it all over again :frowning:
That’s a pity, since overall I liked these cars.

Brought my car to Subaru Dealership yesterday. Told them excessive oil burn. They recommended have oil change so they (I) monitor it next 1K miles. Got home parked and level my car for few a hours. To make sure all the oil drain down first. You can not believe what’s happens!:thinking:
They overfilled, additional 3/4 inch oil on top of the Max mark. WTF! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Brought my car back early this morning. They drained and filled the right amount.
I haven’t check the dip stick. Wait for the car cool down. Will update the results.

Updated! Oil exactly on the Max mark.:grinning:

Ted

2 Likes

That would lower the chances of it failing their consumption test.

6 Likes

Posted June 2015 by an Outback Owner at CarComplaints. There are many owners whose problems began and progressed just like yours are. Tell us if this sound familiar: "Purchased two Subaru Outbacks (2013 and 2014). The 2013 had the check engine oil light at 35,000 miles. Added 1 qt and took the car into the dealer for an oil consumption test. Dealership recommends that you return after driving 1,000-1,200 miles. However, the oil level indicated a 50% overfill when the oil change occurred. Because of this, I did not return for the first consumption test, but monitored at home. Level dropped to empty at 3,000-3,500 miles. When back to the dealer for a repeat of the consumption test. Again, the oil level was overfilled by 50%. Talked to the service manager, who explained this was the result of oil from elsewhere int the engine settling with time. However, I checked both after driving and a few hours after rest and level was unchanged. With previous vehicles and previous oil change services, the technicians always showed the dipstick level at full following the change, to indicate to me the amount added was appropriate.

The salesperson at the dealership acknowledged the 2013 Outbacks had piston rings that were manufactured below specifications, but the bar repair is high. I am having a difficult time trusting the dealership after two deceptive services. I purchased both Outbacks with the intention of making them 10yr cars, but the excessive oil consumption concerns me for engine longevity. There are two pending class action lawsuits regarding this oil consumption problem, a problem that Subaru will not acknowledge.

Will never consider the purchase of a Subaru in the future. Have talked many friends and family out of purchasing this brand."

I’m sure there can be an oil consumption issue. But what we’ve heard so far doesn’t seem to meet any maker’s definition, which is typically 1qt/1000 or worse.

U r right!
I guarantee for the next oil change.
They will tell me my car is fine (NO excessive oil burn) ,

Brought it back, have them recheck. They drained and refilled the right amount.
Finally, I checked the oil level exactly on the Max mark.:smile:

Great, you’re doing the right thing. Now check it the morning after every gas fillup, record the level and the miles.

I possibly observed something going on. If the oil pan needs 5qts after filter and oil change to be full, but only gets 4.5qts, a scenario could be happening where it starts out already on the verge of the low oil light coming on after an oil change.

Well u r right!
If you are only burning 1 quart in 7000. Miles no dealer would consider that excessive.

For certain cars that are notorious for oil consumption (The OPs is one of them) 1 quart per 7000 miles is considered quite good.