2016 Chevrolet Sonic - anybody else having problems?

The power train warranty is 5 years or 60000 miles which ever comes first . So apparently you are out of that warranty period also .

With all the other posts recently, It’s very possible she put in a couple gallons/dollars worth of diesel

I know and understand that. My entire point is this
 in speaking with the dealer, the issue may be covered I just have to determine what the emission codes are. The cost of a diagnostic at a dealer is must higher than a skilled mechanic who has his or her own shop. I am going to do that and provide the codes to the dealer and go from there! If it’s covered, thank God! If not then plan B it will be!

OK , pay a mechanic to read codes ( most Auto Zone stores will do that for free ) and then you will still have to pay the dealer the diagnostic fee because they will not and should not be expected to accept another shops results.

You’re dealing with an emissions issue. Not a power-train issue.

Tester

That very well could be the case. I’m just going based off conversation I had with the advisor at the dealer. Thanks for your help.

And now that you have the code(s), the dealer will have to diagnose what the code(s) mean
There can be 15 reasons for a code, the dealer will now have to figure out which of those 15 reasons for the code

In other words, the dealer will still have to run a diagnostic check on the car, you just wasted the money you paid someone else to diagnose your car.

Just for super cheap, make sure the gas cap is on all the way. Hopefully somebody has tried that, but if not

1 Like

Concur w/above advice, first thing to do for best help here is to post the computer’s diagnostic code(s). Once that is known the folks here can provide a better guess if the problem is mostly emissions or powertrain. Without the codes, not enough to go on. If it is an emissions problem, two common causes of emissions codes on a vehicle of that vintage/mileage are a faulty gas cap or a faulty purge valve. Of the two the latter is the most expensive to fix, but even that is less than $200 parts & labor. What exactly is covered by the warranty and what isn’t is determined entirely by the wording of the warranty. If you live in certain states (Calif for example) you probably have add’l warranty coverage as mandated by state law.

fyi: The 2016 Sonic has had some problems apparently with spiders making their web in the fresh air inlet port of the evap canister. This may damage the canister and if so it has to be replaced. P0455 or P0446 diagnostic codes result.

Which engine do you have ? 1.8L non-turbo or 1.4L turbo? The 1.4L turbo has had some piston problems it appears.

Nice going George , this person is already stressed as it is . Just add more stress . Good Greif !

1 Like

Hopefully by 2016 they got that 1.4 squared away. Came out here in US in 2011. That engine is hard in oil.

Excellent. An independent garage is an excellent place to start.

This sort of thing was fairly common in the early 80’s, then I stopped buying GM. It’s common at most dealerships once the bumper-to-bumper coverage is passed. The key is knowing what they consider powertrain. It’s mostly engine/tranny internal systems. I believe you’ll find sensors are specifically excluded. Specified as not covered on their website, “damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel.” It can be difficult proving you “maintained” the car much less what fuel you used.

From the same site, beyond bumper-to-bumper, : “Every 2016 and newer Chevy passenger car comes with a 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) transferable Limited Powertrain Warranty. In addition to the warranty, 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program, the Courtesy Transportation Program. Refer to your Chevrolet Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet or see dealer for details.”

That’s the key word “POWERTRAIN”, that has nothing to do with emissions.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true. The Emissions warranty covers failed emissions tests for 2 years. After that (outside of CA), it covers cat conv, TCM, and ECU for 80K.

CA has an extended warranty, covering some sensors in the emissions chain. This warranty is voided if non-spec parts were installed. Proof of following maintenance and factory recommendations is required. Modifications (I assume to the engine/exhaust?) void the warranty.