2014 Nissan Sentra Brake Pad Tomorrow

Yeah, I saw rotors online at autozone for $30 to 75 bucks.

Just using A-Z getting a price comparison. But I have never had a problem with anyones rotors except NAPA. The local NAPA store insisted that all new rotors required turning when a pair I bought from them were out of spec.

Maybe this is the only one less than $20ā€¦

Whereā€™s a reputable place to buy pads/rotors? Thanks

If you are not going to do it yourself let the shop handle everything because if you supply parts they will not and do not have to warranty the parts.

I would recommend AGAINST Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads, FWIW

In my experience, they are among the NOISIEST pads I have EVER used

The term ā€œThermoquietā€ is a CRUEL joke, IMO

Iā€™m sure some of the others will disagree with me, but thatā€™s fine

Everybody has different experiences and opinions

But my sample size is huge

donā€™t the rotors get cleaned off during normal stop and go driving? I have surface rust on my rotors almost every morning. Goes away by the time I get to work.

seriously DBā€¦ lolā€¦ so tell me what manufacturer you do recommendā€¦ thats what I need.

@kurtwm2010 In theory you are correct, the pads are supposed to clean off the rotors. In practice, however, some pads donā€™t have much abrasive in them so the rotors will last longer. Some brake designs are just really susceptible to warping rotors.

Some people let their cars sit idle a lot (taking the bus to work and the car over the weekend) or donā€™t drive them very far AND live in areas of high humidity. That can cause hard rusted spots under the brake pad that, over time, will cause pulsation. Sometime you can see a clear pad-shaped spot on the rotors that doesnā€™t seem to go away very quickly.

Whatever the reason, the rotors need some help with new pads. Either turn or replace but most places donā€™t turn them anymore because of cost. Cheap rotors and expensive labor.

Factory brake pads and rotors from the dealer

Across all brands and types of vehicles, those are the only brakes that have given consistent results, with no persistent noise problems

Iā€™ve also seen plenty of aftermarket pads that donā€™t last nearly as long as factory pads

IMO . . . you really get what you pay for, as far as brakes go

If you want the best possible results, go with factory brakes

If you want to save money and take risks . . .

And yet, I have had very good luck with the Thermoquiet pads. They have been quiet, last long time and stop very well. I only use the ceramic OEM Thermoquiet pads though. Havenā€™t tried the organic or semi-metallic versions.

Factory pads are a sure bet though, if you were happy with the original pads.

Not all of us agree with this, but if you are pretty easy on the brakes, there is some residue from the bonding agents that gets just soft and sticky enough too transfer to the rotors, causing the pulsing feeling. The hard stops heat the rotors up more than normal breaking and burns the residues off.

Not everyone here agrees but it doesnā€™t cost very much to do a couple of 60-5 hard stops just to see if it works. The risk/benefit ratio is very good on this one. If you try this please let us know if it helped or didnā€™t help. Feedback is always welcome, positive or negative as long as it is meant to be constructive.

As I said, experiences vary

Bear in mind, though . . . @asemaster pretty much agrees with me and says he would NOT use Thermoquiet again, and has plainly stated they are noisey

And he used own a shop, so his sample size is also huge

Iā€™m not sure, but I think some of the other professional mechanics on this website also had my opinion of Thermoquiet

can I buy factory pads and rotors myself or it had to be done by Nissan?

You have not said if you are going to do this yourself. If you are just go to the Nissan dealer parts counter and purchase them. As I said before if someone is doing it for you then no you donā€™t furnish the parts. You can request they use Nissan parts.

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m going to change pads and rotors myself. Any one have a video or information link for doing this? Thanks

tons of videos on youtube

For years I used Thermoquiet pads almost exclusively. They were always quiet, they gave a good firm pedal, they left no dust on the wheels or rotors, and they lasted fairly well (not as long as some others but they didnā€™t chew up the rotors either). Then I started getting noise complaints, ranging from squeaking for the first few stops to a loud squeak all the time. We hadnā€™t changed anything else in our brake service procedures and changing to a different brand always cured the problem. After enough complaints I quit using them altogether.

I will continue to use them on my personal vehicles because of their performance and clean operation, and I donā€™t care about a little squeak in my own car. Between the kids or the radio turned up to ā€œ11ā€ I canā€™t hear them anyway.

1 Like

I have heard of only one person with this residue/pulsation problem, if this is a real problem, this would be a strike against these Thermoquiet pads.

The pulsation/residue problem is not exclusive to Thermoquiet pads. Factory pads do this, too. Look around a new or used car lot sometime. You can see the pad outlines on the rotors formed while the car just sits there and not fully scrubbed off when taken for the occasional test drive. This is problem that drives warranty people nuts at car companies.