2014 Mazda 3 VS Corolla gas mileage?

CAFE standards push for nothing. It’s the auto maker who decides how best to meet mileage standards. Car makers also choose to reduce weight as a way of doing it. Maybe drivers should do the same.
As far as Corolla vs Mazda is concerned, one can move on a dime, one can’t when it is the leading seller of more archaic cars. Would you ? Ford deserves credit for making changes to meet the standards in their highly competitive market. The F150 is their biggest profit maker on a truck that everyone admits, will cost more to insure with an aluminum body. Big chance ! Mazda inclusion of Ski Active technology is sedate compared to what Ford is doing.

@AnderwRA I agree, and so would my wife. When shopping for a new car, a friend of our son told her Corollas were boring (this guy drives a Subaru WRX), and my wife agreed. So, a Mazda3 Sport in Velocity Red was her choice. I must admit, its a blast to drive around town and in the mountains. Its is what years ago we referred to as a European Sports Sedan.

Do they make one in 4 wd with 8 inches of clearance ? A neighbor’s son has a Forester turbo. That could
be a worthwhile compromise. For practicality in curb jumping and all out performance.

Thanks all for your contribution.
I am glad that I started such an inspiring conversation and brought the awareness among us - kuddo to me:)

And Civic 2015 also has DI.

@dagosa: Somehow Edmunds.com does not show the DI for Honda vehicle? Is http://2014carsnews.com reliable?