2011 Subaru Legacy- Replace VDM?

If even things like the brake lights and emergency flashers are dead then the trouble is either with the main fuse, the battery connection to the main distribution panel has a bad connection, or the main battery ground or engine ground connection has a problem. The new trouble you describe should be an elementary problem to fix for a savvy electrical tech. The shop should have someone there that could check things out. Don’t let them stick you with a big bill to fix this. Whatever happened was most likely done by the shop since this issue wasn’t present before they got the vehicle. Since there seems to be a problem in finding the trouble I would have to think the trouble may be with the chassis or engine ground return. That kind of problem can make a tech shake his head if he is not aware. If the ground isn’t making connection where it should be then power is floating and current can’t flow. You tell them to make sure that all main chassis and engine ground connections are okay and power is getting to the main distribution panel before they do anything else. When those things are good power will have to work.

Ok guys. The car has finally been fixed. I picked it up on wenesday,so a little over 2 weeks in the shop. All repairs were covered under warranty but I sure had to raise cain with Subaru National to see that was the case. I was actually wrong about a totally dead electrical system, they were getting power to the head and tail lights. They found a short in the main computer and had to replace the ecm. All told there were over $2000 in parts that were replaced. While I’m satisfied that the car is now working, I’m am not very happy with the way the whole process was handled. Sure caused a lot of stress. Anyway thanks to everyone for all their input. I will definately use this forum again next time I have a car problem. Hope that’s a long time from now.

Well I hope things are good also. Thanks for the update.

I’ll go off-topic . . .

OP left the building in September

stevhoff revived the discussion in February, and now his problems are resolved

we never did find out what happened to OP

@cdaquila – Carolyn this might be a good time to close this thread.