2011 GMC Terrain oil consumption

The worst dipsticks for me to have to read are the dipsticks on my push lawnmowers. I can get a good reading on a cold engine, but if I have to add oil, I have to wait 5 minutes for the oil to run down the tube or it appears that I have overfilled the engine. If I stop to add fuel, I have to wait to get an accurate reading. Since one mower uses a lot of oil, this is really annoying. It was a lot easier on the really old mower engines where you removed the plug and could see the oil level. I prefer this over the dipstick for small engines.

The worst dipsticks for me to have to read are the dipsticks on my push lawnmowers. I can get a good reading on a cold engine, but if I have to add oil, I have to wait 5 minutes for the oil to run down the tube or it appears that I have overfilled the engine.

A lot (if not all) small engines Iā€™ve owned to check the oil you donā€™t screw the dipstick back in. You unscrew itā€¦pull out and wipe cleanā€¦then put back in until the threads touchā€¦but donā€™t screw it back in.

Mine always screwed back in.
But now I use an electric mower. My back could no longer tolerate a gas mower. Canā€™t work bent over anymore.

@ā€œthe same mountainbikeā€ ā€“ you must have purchased a plug in electric mower. I bought a rechargeable battery mower from a friend last year. My wife likes to now, so I thought it would work for her, but she finds it too heavy to push. She stiill uses the 18" gasoline,pushmower I bought in 1988. It has an aluminum deck which makes it lighter than most mowers. I do have a,newer mower (1992) a 20" with an aluminum deck and it is also lighter than the rechargeable battery mower. However, it burns oil. It is strictly a mulching mower and does a great job, but parts are no longer available including blades, so it isnā€™t worth another short block. The older mower is a Toro and I was able to get a new handle last year, but it has a Tecumseh engine and Tecumseh is out of business. That what comes from taking care of equipmentā€“the parts arenā€™t available when you do eventually need,them.

I did purchase a plug in. With the exception of the blade, the motor and the handle, itā€™s 100% molded plastic, including the deck and wheels, It looks just like a kidā€™s toy, a play mower, but it works great. Itā€™s uber-lightweight and handles like a vacuum cleaner. I absolutely love it. Full price was $99, but I got it for $59 as a leftover at the end of the season.

I know, it sounds too good to be realā€¦ but itā€™s a real mower that does a great job. I like it so much I may get a second one and put it in storage just in case this one eventually dies.

My early 90ā€™s Corolla uses a quart every 4500 miles. But a quart every 2000 miles is within normal limits. Esp for newer cars like your 2011. Many manufacturers say a quart every 500-600 miles is normal. You are using much less than that. So no harm done. Going forward, check the oil level a little more frequently is all.