2010 Honda Accord Crosstour - Broken belt

It’s a used car well out of factory warranty period. Honda doesn’t warranty service parts replaced at a dealership. The dealership provides any warranty on parts and workmanship. If they find a part they installed has failed due to defect, it is on them to go back to their supplier, which is not Honda.

1 Like

You must have missed the post I replied to, above mine, where bcohen2010 suggested the OP drive the car in a compromised condition. If it’s missing on multiple cylinders with bent valves, it would be a stretch to say you thought it was in good condition…

I would never drive the car if it weren’t 100% repaired and safe to operate.

If the belt’s date is 2015 would it be normal that the dealer installed that during my repair in 2017?

I’m don’t understand how either a 2005 belt would be on a 2010 car or a 2015 belt installed in 2017?

I am betting on a 2015 belt installed in 2017. Stuff like this can sit around for a long time. Some belts say to replace after 4 years or X miles so maybe it was an age related failure. I have seen old tires from the same set in very different condition. One is getting the full load of the sun and degraded by UV light while another is in the dark and looks practically new. Maybe it was stored for 2 years in really bad conditions.

Old stuff sitting around is often called “new old stock”. This is also a concern with batteries so I always try to find the one with the newest date code when buying. Car batteries just sitting around isn’t good. This also applies to phone and computer batteries. Buying a genuine Samsung battery for an older model like the Galaxy S5 is probably a bad idea because it has been sitting around for years, even if new in the box.

I suspect something like this might have happened. There was either improper storage or simply bad luck here.

Yes to 1. By the time the belt makes it out the factory and through the supply chain it would not be uncommon, especially if manufactured in a foreign country.

No to 2. I was corrected by “lion9car”; the belt was manufactured in 2015.

It depends on the consumption volume and what production volume makes economic sense. There are many variations in belts. If it’s super common version, they will be run more often in production and more likely to be fresh off the line. There is a minimum qty run that makes sense for the manufacturer. If it’s a slow mover then they will sit longer in inventory before being consumed. Shelf life is pretty good on such things. What causes them to deteriorate is heat, loading under use and certain environmental exposure. They don’t get that wrapped up in a box on shelf…

I’ve handled warranty claims for a major tire manufacturer - and if the 2015 date on the belt is correct, the OP doesn’t have much of a case. He would need to prove that some other component failed that should have been replaced - and since this occurred 2 years after the belt was installed, the OP just doesn’t have enough favorable facts to get a judgment.

Further, timing belts are made out of different materials than tires and don’t age in the same way. It is very likely that if the OP sued, the dealer would get someone to testify that it wasn’t a defective belt, nor is 2 years too old for a timing belt to be considered new - AND - that all the pulleys and the tensioner showed no signs of needing to be replaced at the time of the installation of the belt.

Sorry, but that’s the way I see it.

1 Like

That is a worn out old belt. Nothing new about it.

There’s nothing new about any 2-year-old belt.