2008 Nissan Versa - New engine needed

Fascinating. If they tried that here, I’d ask my wife to challenge it in court.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s very strange requirement. How do they deal with people who want to drive a rental car but don’t own one?

I don’t know what all is behind it but the idea I get that once you own a car in your name and tag and insure it you have to keep up with the tag’s and insurance a kid getting there driver’s license and driving the parent’s car don’t have to worry about it until they buy their first car and tag it in their name. Up till I tryed to do I had know idea such a rule exiited.

Another thing in my state any car’s in your driveway or yard that can be seen from the street are required to have up to date tag’s and insurance one time I had my son in laws PU in my yard for 4 year’s with expired tag’s and no insurance while they were oversea’s in the military someone complained and reported me to the sheriff when he asked me about it I explained the situation he said that was legal and to keep it from setting and not running I could drive it on the back road’s every now and again.

Yeah, we have those laws around here too to address people who might like to keep their own personal junkyard. Unfortunately, it also captures the person in a similar situation as you were.

In MA, you need to show proof of insurance to get registered. Then, the insurance won’t cancel until you turn in your plates. If you fail to do so, then they will start revoking privileges…

1 Like

The sheriff who talked to me was ex military and said he would not enforce it even if he was told to.

1 Like

My township enacted a local ordinance that said that a residence could not have a car on the property (even in the garage) that was inoperative, unregistered and uninsured. I was cited for it, and my wife filed suit against the township. She took the case to state supreme court and won.

2 Likes

Glad you beat city hall I can see the need for some regulation but some thing’s go to far I heard of a town here in Georgia where all car’s had to be parked with the back to the street so the tag’s could be seen from the street.

In OK a vehicle can get a current license plate sticker with no insurance. It’s called a “Black Tag” and the sticker is black in color instead of the usual blue, green, red, etc.

Love that story from old_mopar_guy about his wife taking that case to the state surpreme court. Sounds like something I would do. A tag agent overcharged me 5 lousy bucks on a lost motorcycle tag one time and I argued with that guy for 4 months. The state backed me on this issue. Finally he offered me all of my money back if I would just go away. I said sure; if you give me a written apology. That pushed him over the edge and he started screaming hell no in front of customers.

I said keep the money. It was never about the money; it was a matter of principle and to prove that you are a card carrying douchebag. Other customers were smiling and giving me a thumbs up as I exited the place with the agent standing there in disbelief.
It cost me a far more than 5 bucks as I took off work early half a dozen times on a Friday to drop by and screw around with him. My wife was not terribly happy with me going back and forth over a measly 5 bucks but principle is principle is the way I saw it.

2 Likes

Wgat state do you live in? In NY taking a car off the road does not cause a problem if you surrender the plates. You pay 1$ and get a form to give your insurance. Localities may have ordinances against unplated or registered vehicles but in my town, they are very rarely enforced. my son in law has a couple of cars thst he doesn’t have registered. He boys plates from car shows so it looks like they are registered. Some guys use car covers, others park in garages.A block from my house a gut has an Olds Aurora parked alongside his driveway with no plates. It has been there at least 5 years and the police drive by it many tines a day. We are a sort of live and let live kind of place, with a lot of laws that no one wants enforced. My bext door neighbor has bonfires and i have a bird feeder. Both prohibited. People ride dirt bikes and quad runners behind my fence on National Grid property.

If they get too close to my yard I go out and ask them to ride further back in the field so as not to rut up the grass I cut 40’ deep behind my fence.

Occasionally, we will host a party in our yard on a nice sunny weekend day and the riders have been courteous enough to ride a different art of the field when I ask them to.

“residence could not have a car on the property (even in the garage) that was inoperative,”
Ridiculous! Bet Jay Leno does not live there!

In California we can put a registered vehicle on non-op, no insurance required. You can’t park it in a public street or operate it, but you can own it. Every year you get a letter saying it’s on non-op, but it can stay on non-op for years. Costs $22 once. When you want to register it you go to the DMV or AAA and pay for the registration for the year at a flat rate, no reduction if it’s just a few months til renewal. The cheapest registration in CA now is about $130 a year.

There’s no connection between having a license and having insurance. If you don’t own a registered vehicle you don’t have insurance.

Don’t know anything about the parking rules.

Here in Missouri, you need proof of insurance to get or renew tags. As for a vehicle that’s sitting, about ten years ago after mom died we brought her 2003 Jeep Liberty back to our house from Illinois and it sat in the driveway with expired out-of-state tags until a local cop finally put a ticket on it.
Years before that, I had an old Mercury I was trying to sell. Naturally, it wasn’t insured. A local business owner decided he didn’t like it just sitting there at the curb so he called one of his buddies on the local PD and I got a ticket for being parked in the same spot for more than 30 days.