2007 Pacifica 4.0L replacing engine

Thank you for you comment, I was planing on replacing the water pump timing belt with a kit, I was not aware of the transmission converter seal and engine rear main seal. I will order those part as well right away!

Hey George, I could also ask scotty to beam out the engineā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

There be Whales Here Captain!! ā€¦ lol ā€¦

My friend has ALLDATA at his place and I am wondering if I be able to get a pictorial step by step on the process. I let you know! I should be able to check after Columbus day.

ALLDATA will only show you the factory procedure for removing the engine . . . the one that involves removing the engine, while itā€™s still attached to the cradle

It wonā€™t show you the backyard ways of doing it . . . the way you want to proceed

My 10 foot pole has disappeared again.

This might not apply to the OP but this kind of endeavor in a driveway where I live will get you a visit by the city compliance inspector and possible fine.

The other option that could make this easier is this.

Get the info from AllData on the engine removal.
Follow all the steps except dropping the engine cradle.

Do the timing belt, and waterpump kit on the replacement engine as itā€™s on the floor and swap all the parts to the replacement engine that you can.

Use a car dolley to haul the car to a mechanic with a lift along with the readied replacement engine ready to be swapped.

They will raise it up, dropping the engine and craddle, swap the engine and lower the car back onto the cradle.

You haul the car back to your driveway and finish the wiring, exhaust and anything else on the list at your placeā€¦

Yosemite

3 Likes

Yosemite, give yourself a Gold Star. That is an excellent plan. Takes the chance of injury out of the picture.

1 Like

I like your plan

But I suspect OP wants to do the entire job, without paying for a shopā€™s labor

:slight_smile:

I think jordanā€™s cherry picker will be earning its keep next week :wink:

I cannot wait to see the ALLDATA information about this car because it seems pretty interesting. I was told by someone else that the entire subframe and transmission has to be lowered from below before the engine will come out from the top.

Keep us informed OP of your progress. Who says it canā€™t be done? You the man!!!

With all due respect . . .

Are you KIDDING about ā€œcut some cross beams which are in the way etc out, then weld it back later.ā€

Iā€™d like to think weā€™re better than that, and give better advice than that

That sounds like something a total hack . . . not a mechanic . . . would do

I meant no disrespect, but I donā€™t agree with your approach

But if you can provide me with some mopar documentation, which says that this cutting is THE factory approved method, then I might change my mind

2 Likes

I may entirely be posible to remove the engine from the top, but the reason it is reccomended dropping it from below is because it is the easiest way and much less likely that other parts will be damaged in the process.

If you do as I sugested it would only take a good shop about two hours labor to swap those engines and you tow it back home and finish the work at your leisure.

Feel free to battle with this if you like!!!

Yosemite

I see where youā€™re coming from, and as I said earlier, I like your approach

However, OP wants to do this entirely by himself

And arranging to have the vehicle towed to a shop, and do as you suggested, may not be that convenient

Sure, we all know how to wrench, and we get things done quickly and efficiently

But if we have to go through somebody else, we are now on THEIR schedule, and it gets done when they have time, not necessarily when WE want it done

There is no way a shop will touch this for two hours labor, to replace the sub frame pays 6.5 hours, then they have to hoist the old engine off and the replacement engine into place.

I have never owned an auto repair shop . . .

But if I did, my approach would be ā€œGive me the whole job, or you go find somebody elseā€

Hereā€™s a possible scenario . . .

The shop and customer reach an agreement, as to price and WHEN the tow truck will show up with the customerā€™s vehicle

The shop owner plans accordingly, and keeps a bay clear at the aforementioned time, in anticipation that the tow truck will show up at the scheduled time

Heā€™s got his mechanic ready, with his tools all set up, ready to do his thing

The customer does NOT show up at all, or shows up several hours later

Lost productivity . . . could have had a paying job in that service bay, instead of an empty bay, and a mechanic spinning his wheels, earning no money for anybody

Whoā€™s going to compensate the shop owner for that snafu . . . ?

Not to mention the mechanic . . . ?

Iā€™m not saying that WOULD happen, but it wouldnā€™t be unheard of

Sometimes, simpler is better . . . either OP does the entire job themselves, or he lets somebody else do the entire job, from start to finish

No, No, No db4690! Not cutting anything!!! :slight_smile:

It seems that there is a subframe bolted underneath and that guy told me that subframe has to come down before the engine can come out. Then again, I will make sure once I can see my friendā€™s ALLDATA -I hope I can print it so I can bring it with meā€¦ unfortunately, he is far from me so letā€™ see when I get the chance to go visit him!

@Yosemiteā€¦ I am not towing that car anywhereā€¦ all the work will be done here. The trouble of finding a garage that would be willing to do so, the expense of towing two times, and no warranty from the garage since I am finishing is just not worth it. It is either a garage does the whole job or I do the whole job, that is the only way to do it!