2003 toyota carolla manual transmission issues

Another Toyota… lol

Toyota has one of the lowest maintenance and break downs then most other vehicles on the road… I very rarely see a Toyota on the back of a record or on the side of the road… I’m an old school hardcore Mopar guy, but For the newer stuff, I went Toyota cause I asked a whole lot of my coworkers and friends (people only in the automotive field) what was the vehicle they worked on the least, not what they liked, big difference and they all said Toyota…
Honda is another good vehicle…

I used to say all vehicles are junk, just some are better junks then others, cause they all have their problems…

50 years ago I had a 62 Ford Galaxy, developed serious rear wheel lock-up symptoms, caused apparently by problem in differential third member. Sold car for $100 to mechanic who replaced that part, fairly easy job for mechanic. That car was used as around-town grocery-runner by his family members for many years, saw it around town often. I in turn purchased my truck. Win- win. Hopefully your car will be a win-win for all concerned too.

I think it could be a win win. He got a good price. I might’ve been able to get a couple hundred more, but I’m happy to move on. The buyer is shipping it to Africa, where’s he from and said it’s cheap to fix them over there. I’m pretty convinced those 03 corolla transmissions are defective. I’m steering clear of those specific transmission going forward. Otherwise, still a fan of toyotas.

Surprisingly, the 2003 Corolla was rated a ‘clunker’ on CarComplaints because of transmission failure. Doesn’t specify manual transmission, but still…
2003 Toyota Corolla Transmission Failure: 44 Complaints (carcomplaints.com)

Yes, but the OP apparently owns a “carolla”, which–I suppose–is a different model.
:thinking:

1 Like

yeah it’s worse :neutral_face:

I was thinking the “Carolla” was just a Corolla with a karaoke machine option instead of a stereo :wink:

A weak design aggravated by lax maintenance.

Years ago I posted about the problematic C59 transmission: