2003 Jetta whistling - goes away when I turn on the AC

If a length of old discarded garden hose doesn’t do the job for me, my next option is usually a golf club. They transmit sounds nicely from a part in the engine it is held against, right down the shaft to other end. I get best results with a 3-wood.

@AmandaWithAnOldsmobi - You state you really don’t want to spend $600.00 (probably will be more than that) for the AC compressor. Ask a mechanic for an estimate for using a belt for everything but the compressor. I don’t know if it can be done easily on your vehicle but it might be an option.

Car Talk Lackey
Check carefully for vacuum leak.

Perhaps, but a mechanic’s stethoscope is cheaper. And it has a diaphragm that amplifies the sound. And earpieces. :relaxed:

Hi all,

Update: not sure if the noise was related but the ac compression has officially seized, forcing my hand when it comes to dealing with it. $700 to have it fixed :frowning: I considered bypassing the ac but it doesn’t seem like that’s an option on this car - if anyone has info on that I’d love to know! It’s a 2003 2.0 L jetta

Same answer as in Nov. 2016. Ask your mechanic if he can put a belt on to run everything but the air conditioner compressor.

He didn’t think it was possible on this car, so I’m inclined to believe that he’s right, but figured it wouldnt hurt to ask you guys! :smile: