2003 Honda CRV - Engine Light/knockback on accelerate/wont pass 60mph

You have a 14 year old vehicle that has not had oil changes and oil level checked as often as it should have been. You are getting it back on the road for a reasonable price with a parts warranty of 3 years.
This thing could have other problems that may surface that is what you should be nervous about. Not the current repair.

If you are telling us that the timing belt has never been replaced, then all I can say is that God has been smiling on you, given the fact that a HUGE amount of internal engine damage will result when that belt snaps. If it is the original timing belt, you are extremely lucky that no serious consequences have taken place so far, but you shouldn’t press your luck for even one more day with that belt.

And, even if it was replaced on schedule it is now overdue for changing again. Couple that reality with the very real chance that the belt has been contaminated with leaking motor oil, and I wouldn’t even start that engine without first replacing the belt.

Since it is obvious that a lot of maintenance on this car has been ignored, I strongly suggest that in the very near future you have both the transmission fluid and the brake fluid changed. I do both every 30k miles, and if this has not been done then you are courting BIG problems with both the transmission and the brake hydraulic system.

Honda gave you an owner’s manual to tell you what maintenance needs to be done. Why aren’t you using it? As others have said, if the timing belt snaps, you’ll be out a large chunk of money unnecessarily.

There is no timing belt on a 2003 CR-V. It has a 4-cyl engine with a timing chain. Only the 6-cyl Honda engines had a timing belt at that point.

in which case, the honesty of the OP’s mechanic is surely questionable

:unamused:

Thats a Ford engine. On a Honda and most other vehicles that use a rocker with an OHC, the cam sits under the rocker so the lobe lifts that end of the rocker causing the other end to push down on the valve stem. This also allows the cam to sit in a tub of oil so it is always oiled, even at start up.

Edit: the advantage of the Ford design is that the hydraulic lifter is at the pivot end of the rocker.

I have no experience with that aftermarket brand myself. If you plan to keep your Honda for quite a few more miles, like until 250 K or so, me, I’d probably spring for the oem version. It’s only going to add another $150 to the bill, right? Think how much new car payment and higher insurance rates would be, and that’s each month. The $150 is just a one time deal.

On the other hand, if you are just trying to keep your Honda going for a year, year and 1/2, and trade it in, the aftermarket part will probably be ok. On thing you have going for you, since the shop’s tech recommended it, the shop will likely warranty the labor. Which means they’ll replace it with no labor charge if it fails. No harm done to verify this of course, and for how long the labor warranty lasts. Whether they’ll replace the part gratis depends on the part warranty of course.

As posted above, good idea to come up with a plan so your shop can bring all the deferred maintenance up to date. It doesn’t all have to be done at once, but see if you can work out a schedule that is affordable for you. Best of luck.

I’ll add that variable valve timing actuators are not an uncommon failure item reported here. So you are not alone.

1 Like

In light of the reality that this vehicle has not gotten most of the manufacturer-specified maintenance for
a long time
just going with the cheapest expedient at this point–and then dumping this poorly-maintained vehicle on an unsuspecting schnook–is probably the best bet for the OP.

With his next vehicle, he might want to consider following the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule, and not allowing his wife to determine how many thousands of miles they will go beyond the mfr’s maintenance intervals.

2 Likes

If the OP’s wife-managing experience is anything like mine was, that’s not really an option 
 lol 

1 Like

Sorry, but it’s a Honda DOHC head. You’re thinking of their SOHC design. Here’s from the 2007 Civic Si factory shop manual:

The 2001 CR-V used the 2L engine with a timing belt. The next year Honda switched to the 2.3L with the timing chain. The years are close, and maybe the mechanic made an honest error. You may refer to me as Extremely Charitable JT. It is possible, though.

Yes, it is possible that the mechanic was just confused, given the switch-over to a timing chain for the 2002 model year.

However, if he examined the engine sufficiently to determine that the VVT solenoid was the source of the oil leak, shouldn’t he have noticed that there was a timing chain cover (which looks very much different from a timing belt cover)? After all, that solenoid is about as close to the timing chain cover as I am to my keyboard right now.
:confused:

I suspect a drive belt was recommended, not a timing belt.

1 Like

As I said, I was being extremely charitable. I hope that @Nevada_545’s suggestion is correct.

Honesty is probably OK. I would worry more about competency.

1 Like

I may have missed it, but do we know when the valves were last adjusted?

1 Like

Yes I was thinking of a 2003 Honda CRV with a 2.4L SOHC. But you are right that the picture is of a Honda DOHC head although it does look a lot like the Lotus 1.4L engine they showed off just before GM bought them. Ford uses this arrangement on their 4.6L V-8 SOHC and DOHC engines. I should have paid more attention to the intake ports and I would have noticed that it was not a Ford.

that sounds like a engine restriction which is most likely a O2 sensor or an EGR/fuel sensor. Did you do a read-out of the codes for the check engine light? You can almost always do that free at any Napa, car quest or Oriley’s auto parts store. Find the code then re-post your findings.

@cdaquila Hello Carolyn, the OP has stated in another thread that this vehicles problem has been solved. Would you mark it solved please.

Hello folks.

My wife’s car is fixed. You all have been incredibly helpful!!!

I have been educated and will be much more observant now. Thank you all very much!